Is your house or office at a high-traffic location? Across a busy street, perhaps? And would you like to continue monitoring in crisp details even after the daylight fades? If the answer is yes, our topic today is all about the best 4K color night vision security camera systems. So, we believe you’ll find it informative and with the right solution for your situation.
Nonetheless, there are so many brands and models of CCTV systems in the market right now. If you’re new to the field and don’t know what to look for, you can end up investing in something that will just break your heart. So, in this article, we’re going to combine the manufacturers’ perspective and everything we know about video surveillance to ensure you make the right decision when shopping.
What’s the Best 4K Color Night Vision Security Camera in 2023?
As we may have mentioned sometime back, the word best is quite broad and can mean a lot of things. In our case, for instance, it could mean you’re looking for a 4K color night vision security camera that has the best budget, versatility, performance, or design. The seven brands that we’ll be looking at include:
Do You Need a 4K Color Night Vision Security camera?
Indeed, the quality of the image varies with the integrated sensor, or rather resolution. If you can remember our last topic on 5MP vs 4K vs 1080p, we saw each security camera packs a different number of pixels. And the more the pixels, the sharper/ clearer the footage.
More on that, a security camera with a 4K resolution (high pixels) has a high aspect ratio, 16:9 to be exact. So, you can watch your cameras on high-definition monitors while still maintaining vivid details. When the UltraHD resolution meets color night vision, you now get super-clear video recordings during the day and when the darkness comes in.
In any case, the four main benefits of 4K color night vision security cameras is that you can:
- Capture important details like tattoos of objects at farther distances
- Read license plates of vehicles on motion with clarity
- Digitally zoom the screen without drastically hurting the resolution
- Achieve great coverage with fewer devices. Thus, cost-effective
Note, there are two types of color night vision: Fulltime and Starlight.
The starlight color night vision is where the security camera uses its light-sensitive image sensor to reduce shutter speed. When this happens, the sensor can capture more light in low-lighted conditions and continue recording in color.
On the other hand, a Fulltime color night vision camera features a high-performance image sensor and advanced lenses. Thus, ensuring colorful videos even in extremely dark conditions with the help of supplemental light.
Comparing the Features, Pros, and Cons of the best 4K color night vision security camera
Editor’s Choice: Lorex (LNB8105X) Indoor/ Outdoor Security Camera
- Ultra HD Picture Quality:1/2.5" 8MP.High definition 1080p image sensor. An 8MP image sensor at the...
- Color Night Vision:Uses revolutionary Color Night Vison (CNV) technology. This important feature:...
That’s right. The Lorex model not only has the specs of a full color night vision security camera but also few bells for fun and convenient monitoring. Some of these extra features include a built-in Microphone to record videos with audio and a speaker to listen to the person on the other end.
More to love, the security camera has an integrated siren function to ward off potential intruders before breaking into your property. It also has the LED light to enhance colored night vision, but it can work as a deterrence too since it lights up after detecting movements.
Furthermore, the security camera features the latest H.265 high-efficiency video coding (HEVC) technology. Thus, can help maximize the available local storage while still recording in 4K Ultra-HD quality.
It’s worth noting that the model LNB8105X is an add-on to a Lorex NVR that supports 4K cameras. But since it’s IP/ POE protocol, you could also use it as a standalone if you know how to go around it.
- It delivers bright, crystal-clear videos
- Each camera covers an extensive scene
- Supports audio recording and two-way talk
- Features advanced dual motion detection
- Has IP66 weatherproof rating for outdoor use
- It doesn’t have a slot for a MicroSD card
- The speaker isn’t as loud during a two-way talk
Best of Value: Swann (WDVK-855808WL) Security Camera System
- Advanced 4K Ultra HD Video. Swann's DVR CCTV camera security system includes advanced 4K HD video...
- Simple to Set Up. Do It Yourself Wired Security Camera System. Install Swann's DVR security camera...
If you won’t mind parting with a half grand, the Swann WDVK-855808W might be the security camera system you need. It doesn’t just deliver 4K video resolution but includes all the cameras, cables, and everything else for setting it up. So, you won’t be needing to go to the store, unless it’s a monitor you need.
Each of the eight cameras has a wide 90-degree field of view and a True Detect PIR sensor. So, you will be able to see every corner of your property and only get alerts that matter most. In case the alerts are from a potential intruder, you can use the built-in speaker to activate the siren to ward him off.
As for the recorder, Swann provides it with a preinstalled 2TB hard drive. So, you’ll always get video evidence for at least a month and will never need to pay for a cloud subscription.
- It includes everything you need to start monitoring
- Captures vivid, colorful videos day and night
- Supports PTZ camera if you need wider coverage
- Support hands-free contra with Alexa and Google Home.
- Can set off the siren automatically (by motions) or manually via the app
- It doesn’t have the mic for audio recording
- The remote viewing app is laggy sometimes
- Some users have complained that the DVR fan is loud
Best of Budget: ZOSI (8TN-261B4-20-US-R) Security Camera DVR Kit
- (1). [ Advanced H.265+ High Efficiency Video Compression ] __ ZOSI self-developed H.265+ video...
- (2). [ 4K Ultra HD Security System Overview ] __ 4K Ultra HD(8MP) is capable of recording a pixel...
ZOSI is one of the best choices if you need an affordable 4K Ultra-HD CCTV system for your home or office. Of course, the DVR doesn’t come with all eight cameras, but the four included might be good to start while you look for funds to add the rest.
Each of the provided cameras has an 8MP image sensor that captures in 4K quality. It also has a powerful IR LED that provides detailed night vision up to 150ft and a super-sensitive motion sensor for instant notifications.
Speaking of motion, the Zosi system has the option to customize the detection area of each camera. You could even mask select areas that you need total privacy.
Please note: at its price point, this camera supports 4K recording but doesn’t have color night vision.
- It’s an affordable pricing
- Has HEVC maximized storage space
- Features 3D-DNR to give clearer images
- You can download the video recordings for the USB backup
- Can customize each camera with a different recording mode
- It gives way too many false alerts
- The instructions are pretty vague
- The mobile app is a bit glitchy
Best of Wire-Free: Arlo Ultra (VMS534) Security Camera System
- Wire free and weather-resistant design, works with Alexa, and includes 1 year of Arlo Smart Premier...
- 4K & HDR : Zoom in to see sharp details with Arlo Ultra’s 4K & HDR advanced image quality...
Arlo is one of the bestselling brands of wireless battery-powered security cameras. The Arlo Ultra is one of the selections in the category and a good one if you need to keep an eye on your property in crisp details. Of course, the model is pretty expensive, but then, is it worth the hype?
Well, for one, the Arlo Ultra can record up to 4K video quality during the day and full color at night. However, the color night vision feature is only active when the integrated spotlight is on, but you can set it automatically or manually.
At a 180-degree field of view, this camera can cover more ground of your property without sacrificing the image quality. It also has an integrated microphone to record videos with audio and a speaker if you wanted to use the two-way talk feature.
Furthermore, or otherwise unlike other cameras from the brand, the Ultra VMS534 has a slot for MicroSD card on the Smarthub console.
- It’s so easy to install and setup
- Can work in places without electricity
- Works with Alexa, Homekit, and Google Home
- Supports auto zoom and tracking moving objects
- It has people, animal, vehicle, and package detection
- You can’t view the SD recordings from the app
- The smarthub (base) has a short frequency range
- It doesn’t have the free 7-day cloud storage like predecessors
Best of Add-On: Hikvision (IPC2387C) Turret Security Camera
- ☆The 24/7 full-time Color night vision ip camera adopted the full color technology, with advanced...
- ☆8MP PoE IP Camera with ultra HD resolution and wide field OF view , can clearly capture...
Just as the name, this Hikvision camera has a turret design, which means it’s a dome you can freely rotate the head even after mounting. The camera eye has an 8MP eye that brings you pictures about four times clearer than the standard 1080p Full HD. Even better, it has the brand’s proprietary Colorvu technology and two built-in LEDs to help capture colorful, detailed images even at night.
In case interested, this turret camera can record videos with audio to give more credible evidence. It also supports up to H.265 HEVC, which will reduce storage consumption by over 50%. Then, it uses PoE technology, which means you can connect with an NVR or link with the router to operate as a standalone.
- It has a rugged, vandal-proof build
- Delivers super-clear videos with audio
- Supports multiple recording modes
- Covers a large area with fewer/ no blindspots
- It can work with third-party systems/ software
- It lacks a built-in MicroSD slot
- Doesn’t support two-way talk
Best of Releases: H.VIEW (US800E6A5) IP POE Security Camera
- [4K FULL-COLOR CAMERA] 8MP IP Full Color Camera, 100ft Night Vision, 2.8mm fixed lens 110° wide...
- [Easy Setup, Easy PoE Installation] With a Plug-and-Play reliable connection, this PoE camera uses a...
If you love shopping for the latest inventories, this camera has been on the market for less than four months. The manufacturer is also on our page for the first time, but we shall look at it in depth another day, soon.
Anyway, the model US800E6A5 is yet another add-on 4k color night vision security camera that you can pick for your NVR. The maker claims it’s ONVIF compliant, which implies you can use it with H.VIEW NVRs or else third-party models. Alternatively, you can use the camera as a standalone since it’s PoE. It even has an integrated MicroSD slot that you can add up to 256GB card for local recording.
- It supports multiple storage modes
- Features a heavy-duty metal housing
- Records detailed images day and night
- Uses the advanced H.265+ video codec
- Support multiple AI detections to minimize false alerts
- It’s currently incapable of DHCP protocol
- The management client isn’t so intuitive
Best of Alternatives: GW (VD8CH4CA8937IP) Smart Security NVR Kit
- 2021 Newest Human Detection & AI Smart Functions - This system have 15 AI Smart Functions include...
- 8.0 Megapixel Ultra HD 4K - Capture crisp high quality HD 3840x2160p resolution video, it gives you...
The GW Security is an excellent alternative if you need vivid Ultra-HD surveillance and color night vision. Of course, the model’s pretty expensive to own, but that shouldn’t be surprising considering it’s a local (USA) company.
As for the night vision part, the CCTV system uses Sony’s STARVIS sensor that provides starlight color recording. However, you can also opt for infrared night vision, which, by the way, has a range of up to 200 feet.
More on that, the NVR that comes with the system supports both the advanced H.265 and standard H.264 video encoding. This means you can set it such that the preinstalled 2TB hard drive gives you two or three months of 24/7 recordings.
- It’s quick and easy to set up
- Captures crisp quality videos
- Support up to 24TB local hard drive
- Has Onvif compatibility for third-party apps
- Can reduce false alerts with 15 AI smart functions
- It’s relatively expensive
- Doesn’t have a built-in mic or speaker.
The 7 Key Features to Consider in a good 4K security camera system
As you’ll notice in the above reviews, each of the 4K color night security cameras has unique features that stand it from the rest. Some of these features are the key to a better and overall monitoring experience. They include the:
- Type of the security camera system
- Size of the 8MP image sensor
- Color night vision technology
- Local video recording option
- Range of the field of vision
- Video encoding technology(H.264 or H.265)
- Image enhancement technology (HDR/ WDR/ 3D-DNR)
Common Related Questions
Can you see a night vision camera in the dark?
All CCTV systems in the market can record at night time. However, the camera will have either the 940nm IR LEDs (like those of TV remote) that are difficult to see or the 850nm that has a dull (red) glow in the darkness. So, yes, you can see some night vision cameras in the dark when close.
What color light is best for night vision camera?
In short, white light is the best to get color night vision from a security camera. That’s why companies like Arlo, Lorex, Swann, and Ring are using the white spotlight or floodlight in their cameras of full-time color night vision.
Are 4K security cameras worth it?
If you have enough budget, a 4K security camera is totally worth it. Not only does it provide crisp, detailed images but also you can zoom distant objects without drastically affecting the quality. Also, a 4K camera can record at a high frame rate to give you a smoother video that you can even read the license plate of moving vehicles.
Can you tell the difference between 1080p and 4K camera?
Put simply, a 1080p security camera has approximately 2,073,600 pixels (2MP) in total. This is about a quarter of the 4K camera that has a total of 8,294,400 pixels (or 8MP), which means its image is clearer and richer in details. Thus, you can even digitally zoom without drastically reducing the clarity.
How does the night vision camera work?
The night vision of a security camera works by using its Infrared sensors to shine a light to help the image sensor capture image/ video in darkness. Every camera will have an IR cut filter, which is more like a shutter to block the IR light when there’s ambient light (sunlight/ visible light). Thus, how it will automatically switch to night vision when the daylight fades.
In truth, many manufacturers create their security cameras with infrared night vision, specifically with 850nm wavelength. The technology’s not only cheaper but has a longer detection range as well.
However, infrared recordings are all in black and white, in which case you can’t discern important details like the color.
Regardless, this article has covered various selections that you can use to pick the best 4K color night vision security camera for your home or business place. The Lorex LNB8105X is still our first choice, followed by the Swann WDVK-855808WL (even though it’s a bit expensive).
All in all, hopefully, we’re insightful and helpful for your next CCTV shopping. As you choose your 4K system, though, don’t forget its image file will also be larger since it packs more data. So, make sure you choose something with HEVC technology, more storage, or better both.