While choosing a security camera system, the image quality is one of the key aspects you ought to consider. It helps ensure you can see the potential burglars or their getaway vehicle clearly without difficulty. In this article, we’ll be comparing the best 5mp security camera system with 4k UHD and 1080p FHD.
Although there are still other lower resolutions, the three now comprise the most important resolutions to consider when buying surveillance cameras. Of course, a 720p quality is also ok but for today we’ll only focus on the three.
What Makes A Security Camera 1080p, 5mp, 8MP Or 4k?
- 1 What Makes A Security Camera 1080p, 5mp, 8MP Or 4k?
- 1.1 A Comparison between 1080p vs 5mp vs 8mp Security Camera
- 1.2 Image Quality
- 1.3 Field of View
- 1.4 Bandwidth
- 1.5 Storage
- 1.6 Monitor/ Screen Compatibility
- 1.7 Price
- 1.8 A Comparison Table Between 5MP vs 8MP Security Camera
- 1.9 A Chart Between 5MP vs 4MP Security Camera
- 1.10 Comparison Table Between 5MP vs 1080p Security Camera
- 2 The #7 Best 5MP vs 8MP vs 1080 HD security Cameras
- 2.1 1. SAFEVANT 8-Channel 5MP Security Camera System
- 2.2 2. OOSSXX 8CH 4K POE Surveillance Camera Kit
- 2.3 3. Reolink RLK8-410B4 PoE Video Surveillance System
- 2.4 4. Lorex E581CD Super HD IP Security Camera
- 2.5 5. ANNKE 8PM PoE 4K Ultra HD IP Camera
- 2.6 6. SAFEVANT 8CH Super HD Security Camera Kit
- 2.7 7. OOSSXX 8CH 1080p Wireless Security Camera System
- 3 Which is the Best: 5MP, 8MP, or 1080p HD?
If technology is not your field, you probably are wondering what exactly is 1080p, 5mp, and 4K. Well, in simple words, the terminologies often refer to the amount of vertical or horizontal pixels [the little squares in a screen].
Natively, 1080p HD is a resolution of 1920 pixels horizontally and 1080 pixels vertically. When we calculate, this gives a total of 2,073,600 pixels [or simply 2MP]. The image quality was the most popular several years ago before higher resolutions like 2k and 4k came into being.
The two are upgrades of 1080p HD, where 2K represents from 3MP quality while the 4k starts from 8MP. This means 5MP can also be categorized under a 2K resolution and 8MP is obviously 4K.
5MP has a native resolution of 3072 x 1728= 5,308,416 or 2560×1960 = 5,017,600. The real numbers of 8MP Ultra HD, on the other hand, are 3840 x 2160= 8,294,400.
If you fancy calculations, this means 1080p HD has exactly the number of pixels of 5MP and approximately that of 8MP. Hence, delivering pictures sharper in quality when using a 2k security camera and sharpest with a 4k model.
To properly distinguish the three resolutions, let’s do a brief discussion that compares 1080p HD with 5mp vs 4k security camera.
A Comparison between 1080p vs 5mp vs 8mp Security Camera
In general, the higher the resolution of your security camera, the sharper and vivid image you will get. Without any doubt, therefore, we can conclude that a 4k and 2K security camera delivers sharper and clear pictures.
Of course, 1080p can still manage to read number plates of a vehicle located like 20ft or 30ft away. But it won’t be as clear like when using a 5mp vs 8mp security camera.
The 4K CCTV, though, is the most effective for long viewing ranges like 50 or 60 feet. This is so as it has a large FOV and you can virtually zoom the footage without drastically reducing the image quality.
Field of View
Basically, the resolution of a security camera does determine the type of camera lens to be used.
Usually, an image sensor is the true eye of a camera, whereby it captures the light hitting the lens and turns it into an electronic signal. This lens often comes in varying sizes [also called focal length] and it’s the one that helps determine the field of view.
The creators often fit high megapixels surveillance cameras with wide-angle lenses to allow coverage of a large scene with quality images. This is the reason a 4k systems usually have a wider field of vision than 5MP and 1080p HD models.
By simple definition, Bandwidth is the amount of data that a Wi-Fi/ IP security camera can transmit in every second. While not many even remember about it, the aspect is really crucial as it can affect the performance of your device.
This includes causing degraded video quality, delay or jitter during the transmission.
Broadly speaking, a high-resolution image should take more bandwidth since it involves the processing of more information. In particular, if your surveillance cam uses H.264 video compression, it surely would require more bandwidth.
With the advanced H.265 technology, nonetheless, the bandwidth utilization can be reduced by about 50% without sacrificing the image quality. Most of the new 4K IP surveillance cameras are coming with the technology but it’s always good to confirm before buying.
Some 1080p and the best 5mp security camera system are also utilizing H.265 video compression. Hence, reducing their bandwidth application by about 50% as well. This means the lower resolution, which is 1080p HD, will be smoother and fastest to stream footage at low internet speed.
Still, the amount of bandwidth utilized by a CCTV camera is directly proportional to the storage space. If the amount of bandwidth is more, it means there are higher image resolution and a high amount of data processed. Hence, a demand for more storage space.
If the system you’re using supports H.265 video compression, however, the storage consumption can be reduced by up to 50%.
Monitor/ Screen Compatibility
To view the videos captured by your surveillance camera, the monitor you’re using has to be compatible with the respective surveillance system. If it’s a 2k monitor or TV, 1080p HD and 5MP security cameras won’t have any problem displaying images on it.
The 8MP version, though, won’t be able to display. You’ll have to either buy a higher resolution screen or else lower the image resolution of your camera.
Before going to the market, you have to properly plan your security needs and the budget you’re hoping to spend. This will help you discern the number of security cameras you need and the technologies to consider.
4k CCTVs, for instance, are high performing but relatively more expensive than 5MP and 1080p cameras. Their [8MP security cameras] technology is growing in demand, yeah. But still, they have not become budget-friendly for the consumer market.
Comparing 5mp vs 1080p security camera, the former offers images richer in clarity and details. You can zoom images located up to 30ft away without affecting the image quality.
Nonetheless, 5MP cameras currently require you to have enough budget to own them. They are relatively expensive and that’s why we would recommend the 1080p pieces if you’re on a tight budget.
Of course, 1080p HD is not that bad when it comes to image quality. It can still serve the purpose if you’re looking for a general-purpose surveillance camera.
A Comparison Table Between 5MP vs 8MP Security Camera
|Native Image Resolution||3840×2160 pixels||2560×1960 pixels|
|Total Image Size||8,294,400 pixels||5,017,600 pixels|
|Image Scanning Type||Progressive||Progressive|
|Average Bandwidth at H.264 Base||17MB/s at 30fps||10MB/s at 30fps|
|Storage at H.264 Base||123MB/ Minute at 30fps||78MB at 30fps per Minute|
|Storage at H.265 HEVC||49MB/ Minute at 30fs||31MB/ Minute at 30fps|
|When to choose||
A Chart Between 5MP vs 4MP Security Camera
|Native Image Resolution||2560 x 1960 pixels||2560 x 1440 pixels|
|Total Image Size||5,017,600 pixels||3,686,400 pixels|
|Image Scanning Type||Progressive||Progressive|
|Average Bandwidth at H.264 Base||10MB/s at 30fps||8MB/s at 30fps|
|Storage at H.264 Base||78MB/ Minute at 30fps||61MB/ Minute at 30fps|
|Storage at H.265 HEVC||31MB/ Minute at 30fps||24MB/ Minute at 30fps|
|When to choose||
Note: Both 4MP and 5MP security cameras have a 2K resolution. Hence, their application areas are [somehow] similar
Comparison Table Between 5MP vs 1080p Security Camera
|Also Called||2K||1080p Full HD|
|Native Image Resolution||2560×1960 pixels||1920×1080 pixels|
|Total Image Size||5,017,600 pixels||2,073,600 pixels|
|Image Scanning Type||Progressive||Progressive|
|Average Bandwidth at H.264 Base||10MB/s at 30fps||4MB/s at 30fps|
|Storage at H.264 Base||78MB at 30fps per Minute||30MB/ Minute at 30fps|
|Storage at H.265 HEVC||31MB/ Minute at 30fps||13MB/ Minute at 30fps|
|When to choose||
From the table, the network bandwidth and storage details are not the actual figures. They are average calculations from the CCTV Bandwidth Calculator and Storage Needs Calculator. You can click the links to check the average figures for other video compressions and frame rates.
The #7 Best 5MP vs 8MP vs 1080 HD security Cameras
1. SAFEVANT 8-Channel 5MP Security Camera System
No products found.
This is the best 5mp security camera system if you want to receive sharp and clear images without having to invest heavily. It comprises of a surveillance DVR and 8x bullet security cameras that are IP66 rated to support both outdoor and indoor use.
Although the system can support up to 5MP cameras, the eight included has a 2MP image sensor that delivers 1080p videos. This means you can view the captured images clearly but not as you would do with 5MP models.
To function, the SAFEVANT security cameras rely on a wired connection. Hence, they record and stream continuously without a break. Its surveillance DVR comes with a preinstalled 2TB hard drive and it supports multiple recording modes. These modes include manual, motion-activated, and scheduled recording.
In case you’d like to remotely view the recordings, you can connect the SAFEVANT 5MP surveillance kit with your internet router. Then, install the free app or software on your smartphone/ PC to view the captured recordings from anywhere.
- SAFEVANT Security Camera System comprises a 5MP DVR and 8x 2MP cameras
- It delivers sharp and crisp images
- Support a night vision of up to 65ft
- Comes with a preinstalled 2TB HDD
- Supports multiple recording options, including motion-activated
- Allows remote viewing with a smartphone and PC
- The included SAFEVANT cameras are IP66 weatherproof to allow outdoor use.
- The added cameras don’t have audio functions
- Relies on a BNC hardwired connection to function. Hence, may take more time to setup
2. OOSSXX 8CH 4K POE Surveillance Camera Kit
- 【Plug&Play PoE System】Please note surveillance system is NOT battery operated. NVR need to be...
- 【Audio Wired Camera】With built-in microphone in the camera, our Wi-Fi security camera allows you...
Just as its name suggests, this is a 4k security camera system. Hence, you can use it with 8MP, 5MP, and1080p surveillance cameras. The DVR comes with 4x wired POE cameras that you can easily connect on your own without outsourcing any installation support.
Each of the provided cameras has a stunning 5MP image sensor that provides you with crystal and vivid images. The cameras have 3 powerful IR LEDs and an IR cut filter that enables recording of up to 60ft in total darkness.
Still on the cameras, each of them has an IP67 metal housing to allow outdoor use without the fear of harsh weather.
OOSSXX 8CH Security Camera System comes with a pre-installed 2TB Hard Drive that can record continuously up to 10 days. If needed, you can later upgrade the storage space with up to 6TB Hard Drive.
The video surveillance kit can connect with an Ethernet cable to your router to support remote viewing on smart devices and PC.
- It consists of a 4K surveillance DVR and 4x 5MP security cameras
- The cameras have a 70-degree viewing angle to cover a large scene
- Features 3 infrared illuminators that support up to 60ft clear night vision
- Allows remote viewing on PC and mobile devices
- Come with a preinstalled 2TB HDD
- Have advanced motion detection that can send alerts and pictures to your email and smart device.
- It is very easy and quick to install by yourself
- The cameras have no audio function
- Not compatible with Alexa or Google Assistant
- Plug and Play PoE Camera System – With a simple PoE connection, users only need to plug the...
- Built-in 2TB Hard Drive – Supports 8 channels recording simultaneously. Secure your home and...
Usually, 4mp vs 5mp security camera is not very different in performance since they both fall under 2K resolution. This is why Reolink designed this PoE surveillance system compatible with the two.
The Surveillance system, however, comes with 4MP cameras that capture images with a resolution of up to 1440p. Since its DVR is 8-channel, you can extend the additional four with 5MP models to place at your driveways or home entrances.
With Reolink RLK8-410B4, you can either depend on local or remote viewing. For the latter, you’ll need to connect the station to your router and then install the free Reolink app to your smart devices.
Read more: Reolink security camera system review
- Reolink RLK8-410B4 offers super clear recordings, with vivid details
- It supports up to 8 5MP cameras for tighter security
- Has a superior night vision of up to 100ft
- Comes with a preinstalled 2TB HDD
- Offers customizable motion detection to reduce the number of false triggers
- Supports remote access and motion alerts to your mobile devices or computer
- The video surveillance system is very easy to set up, even with no prior experience.
- Doesn’t support two-way audio
- It doesn’t offer hands-free control with Alexa or Google smart devices
4. Lorex E581CD Super HD IP Security Camera
If you’re looking for something simple but rewarding, Lorex E581CD is the one. It features a superior 5MP sensor that delivers more than double the detail of 1080p resolution.
The dome security camera has a 96° wide viewing angle that makes possible monitoring of distant objects with clarity. Fitted with the ultra-modern starlight technology, the camera can capture improved, color images in low light conditions. In case the environment is very dark, it has superior IR LEDs that support a night vision ranging from 90 to 135ft.
Lorex E581CD is an add-on surveillance camera that you can use with LNR110 NVR or other 2k and 4K UHD systems. Since it’s a PoE camera, you can as well use it alone using a PoE injector or switch.
The Super HD IP camera is remarkably sturdy and weatherproof. Thus, you can install it inside or outside your house without worrying about rain, snow, or hail.
You may also check: Lorex Wireless security camera system
- Lorex E581CD is a 5MP surveillance camera, with a 96° wide field of vision
- It records sharp and vivid images
- Can record color footage in low-light environments and up to 135ft infrared night vision
- Includes high dynamic range [HDR] technology to improve image quality in dark and very bright backgrounds
- Features an all-metal casing to withstand harsh weathers, including rain, snow, and extreme sun
- The IP camera uses PoE technology. Hence, a simple plug and play installation
- Doesn’t support audio functions
- Has no built-in local storage [i.e. microSD slot]
5. ANNKE 8PM PoE 4K Ultra HD IP Camera
- 4K ULTRA HD + 2 MODES NIGHT VISION: The 8MP(3840x2160) POE security camera records everything with...
- POE - EASY SETUP even for BEGINNERS: Unlike analog CCTV cameras, this PoE (Power over Ethernet)...
Well, this product is one of the few to consider if you’re hoping to enjoy the convenience of high-quality imaging. It comprises of an 8MP image sensor that features over 300% more pixels than the standard 1080p Full HD security camera.
At a 100° viewing angle, the ANNKE Ultra HD surveillance camera makes possible monitoring of large compounds with lesser/ no blind spots. It has a high-end EXIR LED that enables up to 100ft recording in dark environments.
Following its PoE design, the security camera relies on only a single Ethernet cable for power and video transmission. So, you won’t need to worry about plugging in points or low-quality imaging.
Speaking of imaging, the IP camera has an advanced H.265 compression format that guarantees smooth streaming and ultra-long recording. It’s compatible with a wide array of ANNKE NVRs and other third-party models that have ONVIF compatibility.
Read More: ANNKE 8 channel security camera system
- ANNKE Ultra HD IP Camera captures sharp and crystal images
- It delivers super-clear night vision of up to 100ft
- Can work with any ONVIF-supported NVR station
- Features H.265 video compression to save on your station’s hard drive
- Supports remote access and motion-activated alerts
- The security camera is IP67 weatherproof. Hence, you can use on rain and extreme sunshine without damage
- It doesn’t support the two-way audio
- Has no built-in local microSD card slot
- Does not deliver colored night images
6. SAFEVANT 8CH Super HD Security Camera Kit
- [Christmas Deals] 5MP Super High Definition Video, 2. 5 x better than 1080P Full HD, super high...
- [Stable & Lossless Video Quality] H. 264+ 8CH 5MP(8) Weatherproof Cameras with 2TB HDD. Just Connect...
This is another alternative from the SAFEVANT makers that allows you to monitor your home or business with optimal convenience and clarity. The kit consists of a 5MP 8-channel DVR and 8x cameras.
Each of the cameras has a 5MP sensor and a 3.6mm lens that provides a fine viewing angle of about 78 degrees. Also, the eight pieces have 3 powerful IR LEDs each, which supports a night vision of up to 50ft.
As an 8-channel system, the SAFEVANT DVR allows you to connect up to 8 cameras for watching every corner of your property. The station comes with a preinstalled 2TB hard drive that can continuously record for over 7 days with the 8 cameras. In case you would like a longer recording period, you can upgrade your system with up to 4TB HDD.
- It consists of a 5MP 8-Channel DVR and 8x surveillance cameras
- Features a wide viewing angle and up to 50ft night vision
- Delivers bright and sharp images, rich in details
- Supports H.264+ compression to save on bandwidth and storage requirements
- Comes with a preinstalled 2TB Hard Drive
- Supports multiple recording options, including manual, motion-activated, and scheduled
- Can connect with the internet for remote access with your smart devices and PC
- The video surveillance system is IP66 grade and sturdy to serve you for long.
- It relies on a hardwired connection. Hence, might take time to run cables and setup
- The cameras don’t support audio functions.
7. OOSSXX 8CH 1080p Wireless Security Camera System
- 【Audio Camera】The camera is without a battery.So each camera needs to be plugged into a nearby...
- 【Waterproof & Night Vision】The camera is a durable metal camera that can work in harsh...
If you’re looking for a general-purpose surveillance system, this piece by OOSSX creators can suit you right. It comes with a 1080p FHD DVR and 4x cameras that connect wirelessly.
The cameras have a wide 70-degree viewing angle and a 2MP lens that delivers clear 1080p images. Each of the four also has a 3 array IR-LED system that allows recording during the night [up to 60ft].
For added security, OOSSXX wireless security cameras have a built-in microphone that you can listen to and watch what’s happening on your property. The system even has an excellent motion detection feature that triggers automatic recording and sends alerts when it detects movements.
- The wireless security camera system is a true plug and play. Hence, simple to setup
- It captures crystal 1080 videos plus audio
- Has an incredible night vision of up to 60ft
- Comes with a preinstalled 2TB HDD
- Offers both local and remote viewing
- Supports motion detection recording and sends push notifications to your smartphone, tablet, and PC.
- The wireless surveillance system relies on wired power to function.
Which is the Best: 5MP, 8MP, or 1080p HD?
As we have always said, the best security camera system is that which serves your needs perfectly and satisfactorily.
If you want to enjoy the convenience of high-quality recording, a 4k surveillance camera kit is the best. It supports up to 8MP cameras that deliver clear and sharp images, rich in details and color. The system, nonetheless, requires you to have a significant budget to enjoy using it fully.
If your budget is not that big but enough for a higher resolution, get the best 5mp security camera system. It also offers quality images that you can zoom distant images without drastically reducing the clarity.
The majority of the products we have reviewed on our discussion supports a 5MP resolution. Hence, you can check out one of them and relish super-clear recordings all the time of the year.