Despite the high demand, installing wired security cameras in areas like barns and construction sites can be challenging. You might find it impossible to run the cables, lack electricity, or the process become overly expensive. In this article, we’re going to show you how you can overcome these challenges with a solar-powered wireless security camera system.
Just as the name, the camera design comprises a solar panel for power and an inbuilt access point for video transmission. Hence, excluding the use of bulky and obstructive wiring while at the same time allowing uncut monitoring without worrying about power.
Contrary to what some believe, a solar security camera functions throughout all seasons, including rainy and cloudy days. This is so as the camera usually has a rechargeable battery, which stores the excess electricity for later use.
Types of Solar Powered Security Camera Systems in 2022
- 1 Types of Solar Powered Security Camera Systems in 2022
- 2 Benefits of Solar Powered Security Cameras
- 3 The Best Solar Powered Wireless Security Camera Systems
- 3.1 1. Editor’s Choice: Ring Stick Up Cam Solar Power Security Camera With Two-Way Talk
- 3.2 2. Best Value: Reolink Argus PT Solar WiFi Security Camera System
- 3.3 3. Best Budget: Dzees Solar Security Cameras Wireless Outdoor
- 3.4 4. Best Design: ANRAN Security Camera Wireless Outdoor with 360° View
- 3.5 5. Best Release: Arlo Pro 4 Spotlight Camera
- 3.6 6. Alternative 1: YESKAMO HD Outdoor Solar battery Security camera System
- 3.7 7. Alternative 2: ieGeek ZS-GX2S Solar rechargeable IP Surveillance Camera
- 4 Buyers Guide: Key Factors to Consider When Choosing Solar Powered Security Cameras
- 5 Final Verdict:
In general, you can get a solar-powered security camera in two different forms:
- As a Self-Sufficient/ Readymade Wireless Solar Security Camera: for this type, the system is available as a complete kit, including a solar panel and a camera with rechargeable batteries.
- A DIY Solar Powered Security Camera: the option consists of a battery-powered CCTV device that allows you to connect a solar charger.
With the second selection, the process can be a little tricky as you’re adding a solar panel to an existing surveillance camera. You’ll need to be careful not to overfeed the battery as it’ll just blow up and destroy your camera.
Therefore, the very first step on your DIY project is to determine the power requirements of your security camera. You will need to note the power ratings [in watts] and voltage so that you can know the exact solar panel size to choose from.
Fortunately, security providers usually list on the user manual or their website the kind of solar panels compatible with a particular security camera. So, the process is a simple plugging in most of the cases.
Benefits of Solar Powered Security Cameras
As mentioned, a solar-powered CCTV is the best option when you want to monitor areas impossible to run wires. That’s for both power and transmitting video. Therefore, you can install the camera anywhere without worrying if there’s electricity or not. Some of the places you can use the camera include driveways, farms, barns, construction sites, boats, RVs, etc.
Apart from the flexibility in installation, other advantages of diy solar powered wireless security camera include:
Non-Stop Power Supply
Most solar-powered wireless security cameras harbor high-capacity rechargeable batteries that work as power banks. So, your device remains operational at night, as well as during rainy and cloud seasons when sunlight is unavailable.
Also known as “green” energy, the solar system is one of the recommended sources of power that don’t destroy the environment. It uses renewable sunlight, which doesn’t cause any pollution as with disposable batteries.
Furthermore, a solar-powered surveillance camera can help in preserving the wetlands as it requires no infrastructure.
Easy To Scale
With WiFi support, you can remotely view footages from your solar-powered wireless cameras on your internet-enabled device. In most cases, the mobile app and PC software used for this allows you to link multiple cameras that you can live view simultaneously. Hence, very convenient when you need to add more devices in the future.
Easy To Install
As a wire-free, solar-powered wireless CCTV system is effortless and quick to install. You need no messy cables or drilling holes. The camera is also easy to dismantle and move when your project advances or completes. Hence, the reason we listed the type as the best option for construction sites.
If not all, most wire-free security camera systems function as a standalone. For this, the providers include with them local storage for the backup in case the internet is down. So, you won’t need to pay for the monthly fees if you’re okay without cloud services.
The Best Solar Powered Wireless Security Camera Systems
Despite the similarity of their power supply, various solar wireless security cameras feature different functions and capabilities. After thorough market research and comparison, we have come up with a list of seven products that you might find perfect for your needs.
1. Editor’s Choice: Ring Stick Up Cam Solar Power Security Camera With Two-Way Talk
- See, hear and speak to people from your phone, tablet or select Echo device with Stick Up Cam Solar,...
- With Live View, you can check in on your home any time through the Ring app.
Overall, this is the best solar powered wireless security camera system on our list. It’s a new brand on our page but has been become a favorite of many due to its convenience and reliability.
The security camera and the solar charger features heavy-duty construction to support outdoor use even on the harshest climate. It has a powerful rechargeable battery at the core and two antennas to enhance the wireless signal for a longer range.
On the face, the security camera has a 2MP image sensor that delivers sharp and vivid 1080p Full HD videos. It has a superior night vision that allows you to see in the dark without compromise.
Designed with the latest technology, the CCTV system features a smart PIR sensor that only captures movements from warm bodies. Two-way talk and they have noise cancellation options. The field of view 130° diagonal, 110° horizontal, 57° vertical.
- It offers an excellent experience, with clear videos with audio
- Has a wide field of vision
- Super easy setup
- Supports wide Wifi coverage
- Allows two-way audio
- It’s budget-friendly and durable
- The motion detection is good, not great
- 100% Wire-Free and Solar Powered: Argus PT runs on 2.4/5 GHz WiFi and stays fully-charged with...
- Tilt & Pan and Stunning Night Vision: Argus PT can turn its head 355° horizontally and 140°...
Affordable; Ultra-modern; and long-lasting. These are three keywords that define this Argus model. It consists of a pan & tilt styling that allows the head to turn 355° horizontally and 140° vertically. Thus, enabling you to watch your yard or driveway efficiently with no blind spots.
The security camera has a stunning 2mp starlight CMOS image sensor that delivers clear footage, with rich details. It provides an excellent night vision, which includes colorful images [with ambient light from moon and porch spotlight]. Hence, allowing you to capture important details, like a person’s face and the color of vehicles or clothing.
Right next to the lens, the security camera has an advanced PIR sensor that detects movements from only hot bodies. Then, pushes instant alerts to your mobile device if you have linked with your home WiFi.
The security camera comes with a free 7-day cloud recording that allows you live-view and playback footages from anywhere, anytime. But if you are using it farther away from home, the manufacturer did include a micro SD socket that you can insert a card for local recording.
Thanks to the installed high capacity rechargeable battery, this camera can retain power for several weeks per charge. Thus, you won’t be in the dark even when solar energy is decreased.
- It has a rugged and durable construction
- Delivers bright and crisp images
- Straightforward and quick to install
- Supports multiple storage options
- Allows two-way talk and audio recording
- Includes a built-in siren to ward intruders
- It supports hands-free control with Google Assistant devices
- It doesn’t support ONVIF / third-party apps like Blue Iris
- Allows only motion-activated recording. No 24/7 continuous record mode.
3. Best Budget: Dzees Solar Security Cameras Wireless Outdoor
- 【2022 Newest Solar Security Camera】The 2K PTZ camera supports 355° horizontal and 90° vertical...
- 【Say Goodbye to Wired】With 23.5% high conversion efficiency, the solar panel can fast transform...
At a low price-point, this selection allows you to get multiple cameras without digging deep into your pockets. As such, it can be very helpful if you need to cover your entire compound but you have a limited budget.
The camera can work very well both indoors and outdoors. It has a minimalistic but decent design that allows it to blend without disrupting the original setting of the surrounding.
The surveillance camera has an exclusive Ultra-clear Pixels, Panoramic View. Thereby, allowing you to cover a large part of your property while simultaneously delivering videos with vivid clarity. Furthermore, the wireless cam has an impressive night vision that auto-adjusts immediately the environment starts to dim. It was absolutely solar powered long range wireless security camera.
Needless to say, the function is black and white, but very clear and convenient. The camera, however, has a stunning PIR sensor beside the lens. So, you still have an advantage of real-time motion alerts of the figures crawling in the darkness.
- It captures crystal-clear videos with audio
- Has a wider coverage, with minimal blind spots
- 360° PTZ Camera
- Supports two-way audio
- Super easy to mount on the magnetic base
- Very affordable
- It has a durable and long-lasting design.
- Similarly, it doesn’t support 7/24 recording mode
- Doesn’t work with 5GHz WiFi.
4. Best Design: ANRAN Security Camera Wireless Outdoor with 360° View
- 𝐂𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐩 𝐈𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐞 & 𝟑𝟔𝟎° 𝐕𝐢𝐞𝐰: Take a panoramic...
- 𝐒𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐒𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐧 𝐀𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐦 𝐚𝐧𝐝...
ANRAN is the most popular solar powered security camera in 2022, ANRAN has finally decided to come into homes. This solar-powered IP camera is one of the starters in the category and we’re positive it has had a lovely beginning.
The security camera features an exclusive, lovely design that mounts on your compound without disrupting the exterior beauty. However, the device is broader than other brands as it has the solar panel attached to the body.
The outdoor camera has a superior image sensor, which delivers 1080p Full HD videos that are rich in detail. You can even zoom the objects at a distance without drastically lowering the sharpness of the pictures. Then, at nighttime, you can still get a crisp view, courtesy of the superior infrared LEDs added.
The camera has a super-wide field of view that makes it possible to capture a large scene of your property with minimal blind spots. It packs highly sensitive PIR Human Detection sensors that detect moving bodies through the emitted heat energy.
- It’s effortless and quick to setup
- Has a solid, IP65 waterproof and durable design
- Captures clear and sharp images
- Supports audio recording and two-way talk
- No 24/7 continuous record mode
5. Best Release: Arlo Pro 4 Spotlight Camera
- See a bigger picture - The security camera has a wide 160° diagonal viewing angle lens for auto...
- Capture clearer details - The wireless outdoor security cameras with advanced video quality that...
While Arlo Pro 4 on the market, this security camera has become a favorite of many. Not just for its convenient green power source, but also the overall high surveillance efficiency.
The security camera has a well-made construction that is IP66 weatherproof rated to support outdoor experience. Similar to the reolink model, the camera has the solar charger integrated on the body, only with a smaller size. It has a hidden high capacity battery that ensures you can still get footages at night and during cloudy days.
As a 2mp model, the outdoor CCTV system offers clear videos, with vivid clarity and details. It has a stunning 2K security camera and HDR camera for night or day.
For the better, the camera also supports smart PIR motion detection, which only senses warm bodies like people and cars. Then, after detection, it will send an instant alert to your phone and record a video clip to the SD card and cloud storage.
- It offers a wide field of view
- Records vivid videos with audio
- Support two-way talk
- Has multiple storage options
- It’s affordable and durable
- Does not support 7/24 continuous recording
6. Alternative 1: YESKAMO HD Outdoor Solar battery Security camera System
- 100% Wire-Free & Solar Powered - built-in 4Pcs Rechargeable lithium batteries with upgraded large...
- Outdoor 2.4GHz WiFi Camera - our wireless security camera works independently with 2.4GHz WiFi (Not...
This is yet another spectacular wire-free solar security camera system that you might find fit for your scenario. It comprises of a separate solar panel that charges the high capacity lithium batteries hidden in the camera. The system is still super easy to set up, thus, you won’t need to hire a professional installer for that.
Fitted with a 2MP image sensor, the security camera gives you brilliant 1080p Full HD images. It supports up to 4 digital zoom, which allows you to focus on the important details of the objects at a distance. Moreover, the camera has a superb infrared night vision that auto turns when darkness crawls in.
The night vision, though, is black and white, but with the integrated PIR sensor, no object can sneak in without detection. And since it also adopts human-shape detection, you can effectively filter out alerts from pets and animals. Hence, pushing only the notifications that really matters.
Speaking of the remote alerts, this CCTV does have a dual antenna to enhance the Wi-Fi signal and enable seamless streaming. Nonetheless, the built-in access point can only work with 2.4GHz WiFi and not 5G.
- It has a solid IP65 weatherproof and durable design
- Delivers high-quality 1080p HD videos
- Supports audio recording and two-way talk
- Include cloud and SD card storage option
- Sends real-time motion alerts, with reduced false alarms
- It has a user-friendly and secure app
- Doesn’t support 7/24 recording
- Not compatible with 5GHz WiFi
- Can’t work with a window PC and third-party software.
7. Alternative 2: ieGeek ZS-GX2S Solar rechargeable IP Surveillance Camera
- 📷【2K FHD & Color Night Vision】ieGeek solar security camera upgrade images resolution of...
- ✔️【PIR Motion Detection & Real-Time Alert】Upgraded PIR sensor and adjustable sensitivity...
This is another great alternative that might be useful when you want to install farther away from the WiFi router. It consists of a decent design with two 4dbi antennas to boost the wireless signal and enable seamless streaming.
The security camera records in 1080p Full HD video quality. So, you get to watch over your garden or driveway in rich clarity that you can even zoom without affecting important details.
Still, the security camera has a wide view angle that makes it possible to capture a large scene. Thus, heightening the safety of your assets while at the same time remaining cost-effective since you won’t need many devices.
The security camera also has a built-in mic and speaker, which allows you to record audio and facilitate an interactive chat. With the two-way chat function, you can even scare away the potential burglars before they break into your garage.
The device works with a highly sensitive PIR motion sensor, in which case you get real-time alerts with minimal false triggers.
- It captures clearer videos, with a wider view
- Has a reliable infrared night vision
- Effortless and quick to install
- You can turn off the motion detection
- Includes local micro SD and cloud storage
- Supports up to 20 user access and control
- It has a well-made, weatherproof construction.
- It doesn’t record 7/24
- No ONVIF/ RTSP support
Buyers Guide: Key Factors to Consider When Choosing Solar Powered Security Cameras
While there are others, these are the seven best solar-powered wireless security cameras that can help you choose the perfect piece for your situation. While you might find some of the features similar, each camera has a setting that stands it out from the rest.
Anyhow, here are 5 crucial aspects you shouldn’t miss if you want to get the most out of your solar wireless CCTV system.
Various solar systems generate different levels of electrical charge. Therefore, you have to crosscheck the power rating of your security camera and ensure the solar charger is efficient for the installed batteries. When shopping online, you can even check on what other buyers are commenting on so that you can have a definitive decision.
A high resolution is everything when it comes to surveillance. It enables you to monitor your property in videos with high clarity. Thereby, making it easier to identify important details like the vehicle license plate and the face of the intruders.
Even so, a very high resolution like 4K usually consumes a lot of bandwidth and power. Hence, the reason most solar-powered wireless security cameras are in 1080p HD.
Is The Solar Security Camera Weatherproof?
The last thing you want is mounting a security camera and its solar panel, then they fail from rain the next day. So, you have to pay closer attention to the sturdiness, ensuring your entire surveillance kit is fully weatherproof. Doing so, you not only have the advantage of greater longevity but also you’ll see the value of your investment.
Recording Modes Available
From the above reviews, you possibly have noticed all the products don’t support 7/24 recording. The reason for this is because the feature tends to consume a lot of power, which then will drain the batteries fast.
Therefore, if you want a security camera that remains running all time of the day, none of these lineups can help. The single wire-free CCTV system that we can say supports continuous recording is Arlo Pro 2- and even it has to be plugged to an AC outlet.
Even so, some cameras do have an option to choose the length of video clips you wish to get when there’re movements. There are many options for recording via solar powered wireless security camera system with dvr.
For the best, you should consider a Solar powered surveillance camera that can record in an SD card. That way, you will always have past footages even when the internet is down, or else in case you don’t want to pay for the cloud.
Luckily, all the security cameras we have reviewed include SD card and cloud storage. Thus, leaving you to decide the option that you wish to progress with.
At a glance, a solar-powered wireless security camera system is a tool you’ll truly cherish to have. There are no cables to limit its movement, which means you can set up effortlessly and anywhere. Then, with the solar charge, you can have a non-stop power supply, all time of the day, through the year.
Even so, the solar charger primarily depends on the sunlight to stimulate the electricity cells. For that, the charging capabilities will certainly decrease during cloudy, foggy, and rainy seasons. In which case we recommend a security system with high capacity batteries that can retain charge for a couple of weeks or months.
Then, for maximum efficiency, you have to keep the solar panel away from obstacles, such as shades from trees. You will also need to wipe the panel surface regularly so that you can remove dust and debris, which also are likely to inhibit performance.
Lastly, most of these CCTV solar systems provide a slow tricle charge, which can take up to 4 days to recharge the batteries fully. Therefore, we highly recommend you first full-charge your camera in the house before installing it.