While traveling, the built-in locks in a suitcase are basically useless if you’re hoping to keep some valuable jewels or souvenirs safe. You need to secure your bag with an “external” lock to make it more difficult for devious luggage handlers to rummage through your things. Be it at the hotel or airport. Anyways, in this article, I’ll be sharing with you some of the best TSA approved luggage locks in 2021 for optimal efficacy.
Top 6 pick at a glance
Is A TSA Lock Really Necessary?
- 1 Is A TSA Lock Really Necessary?
- 2 How and where to protect you by a TSA locks
- 3 Best TSA Approved Luggage Locks
- 4 #1. Master Lock 4688D TSA Accepted Luggage Lock
- 5 #2. TravelMore Combination Cable TSA Approved Travel Luggage Lock
- 6 #3 Forge Black Open Alert Indicator TSA Lock
- 7 #4. Desired Tools 4 Digit Combination TSA Luggage Lock Pack
- 8 #5. Forge Re-Settable Combination TSA Approved Cable Luggage Locks W/Alloy Body
- 9 #6. Tarriss Search Alert TSA Luggage Locks
- 10 #7. SURE LOCK TSA Compatible Travel Luggage Lock W/ inspection Indicator
- 11 #8. Forge Ultra-Secure Dimple Key TSA Approved Locks
- 12 #9. Newtion Multicolor TSA Approved Luggage Lock
- 13 TSA Approved Cable Luggage locks
- 14 TSA Approved Locks with Alloy Body
- 15 Easy Set Combination Switch
- 16 Best Forge Travel Locks
- 17 Advantages of Forge Travel Locks
- 18 Disadvantages
- 19 Which Should I Choose?
Simply, a TSA Approved Lock is a special fastener that has been created through the efforts of Travel Sentry to ensure “optimal” safety of your luggage. The lock usually come in a variety of designs, lock type, and a universal key. The Universal (master) keys are usually used by aviation security agencies (e.g. TSA) to open up your bag for extra screening.
A TSA Approved Lock is very essential during your travels as it’ll help you avoid having your luggage lock cut off since the TSA has a key. Once they are done with their search, the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) will re-lock your baggage, ensuring it remains secured all the time.
TSA Approved Luggage Locks comes in various lock type, including a combination, key card, cable, or key lock. The one you choose depends on your preference.
How and where to protect you by a TSA locks
The rise of terrorist’s threats across the world has made authorities in all countries very vigilant in maintaining the highest standards of security. This often requires them to open and check passenger baggage if they suspect anything to be amiss. This has led to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) of USA to lay down guidelines for the manufacture and use of certain locks which can be opened by TSA officials with the help of a master key.
These locks are referred to as ‘TSA approved locks’ and they are manufactured according to stringent quality guidelines issued by TSA. So please keep an eye to buy the best TSA approved luggage locks for your safe travel.
On closer inspection, we realized that there are a large number of manufacturers who are making such TSA approved luggage locks but not all of them are of the highest standards of quality. Of the ones that we looked into in detail, the lock manufactured by Forge caught our fancy (and not just because of its unique orange color). Let us look into this product in a little more detail.
Best TSA Approved Luggage Locks
The following are some of the best TSA approved luggage locks that you can get at Amazon today and ensure your stuff is well secured. It’s worth to have one or two to keep your luggage secured as the TSA will not settle your losses or damages that easily.
Now I will describe to you that why Forge luggage locks are the best in the list. Please read all the content here for more details.
#1. Master Lock 4688D TSA Accepted Luggage Lock
This is a remarkable luggage lock that features a durable, heavy-duty metallic body and a tough vinyl-covered braided steel cable. The cable has a length of around 1.5 inches and it’s flexible so as to thread through the zip nicely without causing damage.
Master Lock 4688D TSA Accepted Luggage Lock is convenient and ultimately reliable. The padlock allows you to set your own 3-digit combination, of which you know you can’t forget easily but difficult for another party to guess. Also, this is a TSA-approved luggage lock, thus, you don’t have to worry about yours getting cut by the screensavers while inspecting your baggage. They will safely open it with their special key and then re-lock it to ensure your personal stuff is well secured.
Master Lock 4688D TSA Accepted Luggage Lock is available in a variety of colors, including black, blue, red, and silver. Also, it’s a multi-use security device as you can use it on either your traveling case, backpack, or even your work/ gym locker.
- TSA-approved luggage lock
- Constructed with a sturdy metallic body to enhance durability
- Allows you to set your own 3-digit combination
#2. TravelMore Combination Cable TSA Approved Travel Luggage Lock
- 1 ORANGE LUGGAGE LOCK: You will be receiving a pack of 1 orange TSA-approved luggage lock.
- MOST DURABLE TSA COMPATIBLE AND RECOGNIZED LOCK: All TravelMore retractable travel locks are 100%...
This TSA Approved Luggage Lock is all you need for your travels, be it on air, bus, or even when at the hotel. It features a sturdy zinc alloy lock bodies and hardened steel shackles that will serve you for a very long time before wearing. The lock has a 3-dial combination that you can set to any combo of your choice in a flash. This will help ensure your fastener is having a combination you can remember easily.
TravelMore Combination Cable TSA Approved Travel Luggage Lock is easy to use and 100% Travel Sentry certified. The lock incorporates a flexible steel cable which will thread through your zipper holes easily and efficiently. Furthermore, the cable can fit in various zip sizes, including of your laptop bag, backpack, as well as in gym locker and cabinet.
While at the baggage claim area, it’ll be very easy for you to identify your luggage due to the flashy color of this TSA Approved Lock. The TravelMore Combination Cable TSA Approved Luggage Lock also best luggage locks for international travel.
- Durable and certified by the Travel Sentry
- Has a tough flexible cable which can penetrate any zipper hole easily
- Has multiple uses, including on suitcase, backpack, work/gym
- locker, purse, and even cabinet
- The lock is easy to use and re-settable
- The TSA Approved luggage lock is weatherproof
#3 Forge Black Open Alert Indicator TSA Lock
- MOST DURABLE TSA RECOGNIZED AND ACCEPTED LOCK. Forge locks are designed from the ground up to be...
- KNOW IF YOU’VE BEEN INSPECTED. Know if an agent has opened your TSA approved lock immediately with...
When it comes to long travels, don’t just buy a lock to press and lock, get a premium item that you’ll cherish to own. As one of the best TSA approved luggage locks, this piece from the Forge creators has an inbuilt Open Alert indicator. This red mechanism usually pop-up immediately the security agent unlocks it. Thereby, giving you a chance to double-check your belongings if something missing while still in the airport.
Forge Black Open Alert Indicator TSA Lock comprises of robust, alloy lock bodies and tough steel shackle which will serve you for a lifetime. Inspired by air travelers who have been complaining of their TSA padlock left unlocked, this padlock is a MUST for the agent to relock it. Otherwise, he’ll have to leave his key as it can’t be removed while the luggage lock is still open.
Once you get it, Forge Black Open Alert Indicator TSA Lock allows you to set your own 3-digit combination in a flash. This enables you to set a simple number that you’ll remember easily but which can’t be guessed by other persons.
- TSA approved luggage lock with a mechanical open-alert indicator
- Made of heavy-duty Zinc alloy and tough steel to enhance durability
- Allows you to set your combination
- Comes in various styles, including single, 2 pack, 4 pack, and even 6 pack
- The lock has multiple uses, including on suitcases, laptop bag, backpack, and even purses
#4. Desired Tools 4 Digit Combination TSA Luggage Lock Pack
- Protect your luggage with top quality 4-digit combination TSA-approved padlocks.
- 4-digit locks offer 10,000 combinations and take 10 times longer to crack than 3-digit locks.
If you’re a globetrotter or a travel enthusiast, the Desired Tools 4 Digit Combination TSA Luggage Lock Pack is a very remarkable piece to have. It comes as a unit of two high-quality TSA approved locks, with both made of zinc alloy and plated steel to enhance the durability.
Dissimilar to the common 3-digit combination which gives you 1000 combos alternatives, these TSA luggage locks have a 4-digit combination. In simple words, this means you have 10, 000 combinations to choose from and it can take 10 times longer to crack than the 3-digit locks. The padlocks come with default settings, which allows you to set a combination of your choice that you know you can easily remember.
Desired Tools 4 Digit Combination TSA Luggage Lock Pack is available in a variety of colors, ranging from black, blue, green, and red. The padlocks also are not limited to securing only your traveling luggage as you can use them on your laptop bags, purse, or even chains.
- Made of high-quality zinc alloy and plated steel
- Allows you to set a 4-digit combination of your choice
- TSA approved luggage lock, hence, evades getting cut off
- Have multiple uses
#5. Forge Re-Settable Combination TSA Approved Cable Luggage Locks W/Alloy Body
- MOST DURABLE TSA RECOGNIZED AND ACCEPTED LOCK. Forge locks are designed from the ground up to be the...
- EASY TO SET 3 DIGIT COMBINATION. Our combination locks have an easy to use lever mechanism to set...
Crafted to ensure you travel without worries, these TSA approved locks ensure the security agents open your luggage without having to cut your padlocks. Once they’re done screening your bag/s, they will then relock them to ensure your stuff is optimally secure from the opportunistic handlers.
As an added security measure, these TSA locks by the Forge guarantees the screeners relock them before removing their keys. Otherwise, they will have to leave their keys on the locks if they opt to leave them open. The locks are made of durable, zinc alloy bodies and braided steel cable to ensure total lifetime service. With its fine thinness, this cable can thread through all the holes of a standard zipper in a suitcase, backpack, or purse.
Forge Re-Settable Combination TSA Approved Cable Luggage Locks feature a 3-digit combination which you can set on your own with ease. In case you feel you need a new set of combination, there is a silvered switch which you can use to factory reset the combination. In preventing others from resetting your padlock’s combination, the switch can only be functional when the padlock is open.
- Comprises of tough, durable zinc alloy and steel
- 100% TSA compatible
- Easy to set/ reset your 3-digit combination
- Always relocked for maximum security
#6. Tarriss Search Alert TSA Luggage Locks
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED and backed by our LIFETIME WARRANTY! Makes a Great Travel Gift! Secure...
- SEARCH ALERT - You'll always know when the TSA is rummaging through your bags. Indicator changes...
Durable. Secure. And ultimately high-tech. This piece by Tarriss creators is one of the top ultra-modern TSA approved luggage locks which is not just dependable. But a remarkable lifesaver as well. The luggage locks are 100% Travel Sentry certified, hence, ensures the aviation security agents can inspect your bag without having to cut off your locks.
Tarriss Search Alert TSA Luggage Locks is a product of high-strength zinc alloy casing and flexible steel cable. Hence, guarantees you a lifetime service. The cable is slim enough to thread through your bag’s zippers easily and without damaging them. The locks come as a 2-pack unit, of which are available in various colors, including blue, red, and midnight black.
In assuring you optimal security, these Tarriss luggage locks feature a 3-dial combination which you can reset to any combo of your choice. The dials are large, hence, ultimately visible without having to put on your reading glasses. For an added safety measure, these TSA locks have a Search Alert feature which notifies you if the TSA agent has opened your bag or not. Immediately he opens the lock, the installed indicator changes from Green to Red.
- Sturdy, durable Zinc alloy casing and steel cable
- Ultra-modern with a Search Alert indicator
- Exquisite and highly readable dials
- TSA approved and 100% guaranteed satisfaction
#7. SURE LOCK TSA Compatible Travel Luggage Lock W/ inspection Indicator
- THE MOST DURABLE LOCK ON THE MARKET. SureLock uses an ultra tough alloy body to protect our locks...
- PEACE OF MIND WITH AN INSPECTION INDICATOR. Know if your luggage has been inspected as soon as you...
Although it might look like an ordinary combo padlock, SURE LOCK TSA Compatible Travel Luggage Lock is high-tech and a topnotch guard. The luggage lock is made of heavy-duty zinc alloy on the casing and braided stainless steel cable. Although very tough, this cable comes with a slim thickness to ensure it fits through the zippers easily and effectively.
For optimal efficiency, this SURE LOCK’s padlock has an inspection indicator button which pops out once the TSA agent opens your luggage. This gives you a chance to go through your stuff to ensure everything is in order before leaving the airport. For maximum security, this TSA luggage lock has a 3-digit combination, which allows you to choose your own combo. The dials are large and bold, hence, easy to read without strain your eyes.
While it’s meant for securing your baggage, SURE LOCK TSA Compatible Travel Luggage Lock can perfectly work on backpacks, purses, and laptop bags. Unlike the steel shackle locks which have limited applications, the flexible cable lock can even work fine on equipment and pelican cases. This is also for the best luggage locks for international travel.
- TSA approved and compatible
- Features a 3-digit combination and an Inspection Indicator
- Made of tough, durable materials
#8. Forge Ultra-Secure Dimple Key TSA Approved Locks
- MOST DURABLE TSA RECOGNIZED AND ACCEPTED LOCK. Forge locks are designed from the ground up to be the...
- THE MOST SECURE TSA PADLOCK ON THE MARKET: Forge luggage locks use an advanced dimple key and...
Feel attached to the ordinary steel shackle lock? Do you find the cable locks too long or are you afraid of forgetting your combination? Then this Forge’s Ultra-secure padlock is what you need. The piece is one of the most secure TSA approved luggage locks you’ll find on the market. The padlock features a contemporary dimple key and tough steel tumbler system which is tamper-proof and ultimately reliable.
Forge Ultra-Secure Dimple Key TSA Approved Locks come as a pack of a minimum of two pieces, all featuring hardened zinc alloy bodies and steel shackles. This ensures the locks serve you for a long time without ever rusting, oxidizing, or freezing up. With these luggage locks you don’t have to worry of forgotten or malfunctioned combinations as they come with multiple keys.
For maximum security, Forge Ultra-Secure Dimple Key TSA Approved Locks don’t let go the key when open. As such, the TSA agents must relock your luggage lock so that they can remove their key.
- Though they’re listed as luggage locks, these padlocks have a variety of uses, including on a briefcase, backpack, and even work locker.
- The Locks are TSA approved and compatible
- These luggage padlocks are robust and highly durable
- Also, the luggage locks MUST be relocked for the TSA agents to remove their key.
#9. Newtion Multicolor TSA Approved Luggage Lock
No products found.
Who said the word stylishness refers to only that dress from Vacay Style or Nau Clothing? Let your traveling bag shine with these lovely Newtion’s Blue 2Pack combination locks. The luggage locks feature a lovely double color body which highlights your colorful personality whilst serving your security needs.
Newtion Multicolor TSA Approved Luggage Locks have a sturdy, zinc alloy body and a hardened stainless steel shackle. The travel locks are 100% TSA certified, hence, the aviation security agents won’t bother cutting them to screen your bag. They will just open the padlocks with the Master Key, then they relock them for optimum protection of your souvenirs. As an additional security measure, the TSA agents have to relock your luggage padlock so that their special key can come off.
Newtion Multicolor TSA Approved Luggage Locks feature a 3-digit combination that allows you to set a combo of your choice. The window of the combination dials is uniquely set to ensure convenient viewing and also enhance the locks’ sleek design. This is the best luggage locks in 2021.
- Available in a colorful design to make your journey much intriguing
- TSA approved travel lock
- Made of sturdy, durable material
- Features a 3-digit combination which allows you to set your own code
- The travel locks are multi use, including on suitcases, backpacks, purses, and laptop bags.
TSA Approved Cable Luggage locks
This product comes in a number of packing combinations but it offers only two colors – orange and black. The different combinations in which you can buy these TSA approved locks are in packs of 6 locks, 4 locks, 2 locks, and 1 lock. This product has two main parts – the main body built from a special alloy, and the shackle which is not a solid metal one but braided shackles made from sheathed steel.
The beauty of using a braided shackle is that it affords the flexibility of a rope along with the strength of a metal. You can use the braided shackle to secure the lock in any situation where a normal shackle wouldn’t be able to fit in. This lock can withstand pulls of up to 220 pounds because of the strength of the braided shackle.
TSA Approved Locks with Alloy Body
This is one and half times greater than what most other locks in the market can provide. One more advantage of a braided shackle in place of a full metal shackle is that the metal ones can sometimes get stuck in awkward positions while being thrown around by airline employees while handling traveler baggage. The flexible braided shackle prevents this from happening.
These TSA approved locks have a 3 digit security code which you can set as many times as you want. The smooth lever mechanism of the 3 wheels (black colored, with bright numbers etched in white) allows you to set each number very easily. Unlike other locks, the numbers do not go back to earlier combinations due to sliding. Also, there are no pin holes to be manipulated with pins or screwdrivers to be turned when you want to reset. You just take the combination back to the factory setting of 0-0-0, and then the level needs to be turned externally.
Easy Set Combination Switch
This can be done only when the lock is open, so no one can reset the combination, and the combination can’t be reset inadvertently when it is locked. One more advantage of the number wheels of this lock is that the numbers are white and fluorescent, and their black background makes the numbers very easy to read, even in the bright lights of an airport.
One issue that many best tsa approved luggage locks have is that when they are actually inspected by a TSA agent at the airport, the post-inspection is a pain. That is because the TSA agents usually forget to lock your baggage back and it stays that way till you notice it and lock it again. But this Forge product is so designed that unless the agent locks your lock back again properly, his key can’t be removed. This keeps your baggage secure after the agent has done his duty.
Although the concept of TSA approved locks is aligned to travel and travel luggage, yet this product from Forge can be used is several other situations as well. You could easily use it for your gym locker or laptop bag or even on your briefcase, when you are traveling or when you are at your school, office or gymnasium.
Best Forge Travel Locks
The locks are very reasonably priced and if you can order the bigger packs and take your billing amount beyond $20 then your shipping is free. You also get an unconditional lifetime guaranty on this product which not only saves you the hassle and expense of repairs later but also indicates the confidence Forge has on this product.
Overall, we found more pros on this product than cons. We also spoke to a few customers and actual users to see what they felt after actually going through their trips using this lock. The benefits were all agreed to by the travelers but they did point out a few flaws as well, which shall recount below under ‘disadvantages’ section.
Advantages of Forge Travel Locks
- Robust alloy body and strong cable braided shackles
- The shackle is able to withstand very high pressures
- The shackle is also very flexible
- Different pack sizes to fit all needs – 1 lock, 2 locks, 4 locks, and 6 locks
- Two choices of color – bright orange or black
- The product is TSA approved
- If TSA agents miss locking the lock once they have finished their inspection, they can’t take out their master key
- Apart from travel, it can also be used for several other purposes
- Combination setting is pretty simple
- Combination numbers are easy to view
- The manufacturer provides a replacement in case the buyer is not satisfied
- There is a lifetime guarantee provided on the product with no questions
- On a minimum order quantity, free shipping is provided.
- The wheels with the combination numbers are prominent in white fluorescent color, on a black background.
- No additional tool or implement is needed to reset the combination.
- The locks are not too resistant to sand or salt water. In case you are going to the beach with a bag, it wouldn’t be a good idea to secure that bag with this lock.
- Some more colors would have been welcome.
Which Should I Choose?
Although you’ll come across a wide variety of luggage locks in the market, the nine above are the top-best on Amazon and to thousands of global consumers. All are TSA approved luggage locks that are made of high-quality materials that will serve you 100% satisfactorily and for a long time.
Since all are excellent locks, the one you get now depends on the use and also your ideal taste. On their economical aspect, these padlocks have more than one use. Hence, you can even use them for another purpose after you’re back from your trip.