There are so many security camera brands in the market today. Some are good and others are better. So, it’s nice to shop around so that you can find the best deals that will serve your security desires without any compromise. In this article, we’re going to compare Swann vs Arlo security cameras to see that has the best features to consider.
Both companies, no doubt, are outstanding and have been at the front line to provide the latest tech that meets 21st century needs. But they belong in different surveillance categories as one is for standalone smart cameras while the other focuses on expandable DVR/ NVR systems.
In other words, this comparison is more like the one we did on Arlo vs Lorex security camera system a while back. So, we won’t revisit details on individual brands, rather how Swann differs and compares to its counterpart.
But again, you can check the Arlo security camera reviews to learn why this brand has been the most talked about home automation company.
The 6 Reasons Why Swann is the Best Security Camera
- 1 Swann vs Arlo: A Quick Summary on the Security Camera Brands
- 2 Swann vs Arlo: The 6 Best Security Cameras From the Manufacturers
- 2.1 Best overall: Swann 8CH spotlight Security Camera System
- 2.2 Best Budget: Swann 1080p FHD Home Security Camera System
- 2.3 Best Clarity: Swann Ultra-HD Wired Surveillance Camera System
- 2.4 Best overall: Arlo Pro 2 WiFi Wireless Security Camera System
- 2.5 Best Budget: Arlo Essential Spotlight Battery-Powered Security Camera System
- 2.6 Best Clarity: Arlo Ultra 4K UHD WiFi Security Camera System
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 4 Conclusion:
In the real sense, I (chief editor) don’t like Swann very much from their insatiable nature. However, the brand is a much better choice than Arlo if you’re not interested in sophisticated features.
- Swann offers expandable security camera systems that come in handy when you need to monitor a large space. Arlo has only standalone cameras.
- Swann camera systems are pretty much affordable and economical than Arlo cameras.
- Most Swann CCTV systems rely on local storage for all the recording, which requires no monthly subscription. Arlo cameras are all WiFi-operated and mostly depend on the cloud for storage.
- Swann has dozens, if not 100+, types of security camera systems. Arlo only has about eleven options to choose from.
- Swann supports 4 different types of recording: continuous, manual, motion-activated, and scheduled. Arlo mainly relies on event-triggered recording but also have continuous recording mode (with Arlo smart plan).
- Swann has PTZ security cameras for wider outdoor coverage. Arlo doesn’t have one yet.
Swann vs Arlo: A Quick Summary on the Security Camera Brands
In this table, we’re going to highlight the key similarities and differences between Arlo vs Swann security cameras. We have used all the latest data we could find to ensure it’s as accurate as possible
From the table, you’ll notice Arlo and Swann have more likenesses than differences despite having different focus areas. As for video analytics, both companies has unveiled facial recognition not long ago. They also offer various selections of cameras with an integrated spotlight, which lights up in darkness to enable colored night vision.
In any case, other three differences between the two worth mentioning are:
Quality and Durability
On our page, we’re motivated to provide the most accurate information so that you can make the best buying decision. So, we won’t lie to you that Swann cameras have the best build because they don’t. Most of them have plastic housing, which means we can’t compare durability with a brand like Lorex. However, they can serve for several years before you can encounter any issue.
Meanwhile, Arlo cameras also have a plastic construction, but you’ll feel it (somehow) has a better and more durable style. But again, we can’t compare longevity with Lorex technology have that even have some variations with metallic housing.
While it’s younger, all Arlo cameras are straightforward and quick to install. Why? The company only offers wireless cameras, with most using batteries to run. As such, there are no video cables to tangle with, neither do you need to drill the walls.
Meanwhile, Swann security camera systems are also easy to install and necessarily don’t need professional assistance. If you can remember our previous Lorex vs Swann discussion, the Australian brand was the father of DIY home security, an aspect they have maintained for thirty-three years.
Nonetheless, the majority of Swann cameras are wired security cameras with DVR/ NVR recorder. Thus, there’ running cables and you may also need to do some drilling at some point. This translates to more work and more time to have the whole installation done.
As mentioned, Arlo creates WiFi wireless security cameras, which means in most cases, you’ll use a smartphone, tablet, or computer to stream feed. So, a good app is a must and should be available for both Android and iOS devices without hiccups.
Luckily, Arlo has a well-performing app, which currently has a 3.6 rating from 76,867 Android users and 4.2 ratings from 124,155 Apple owners.
Meanwhile, the Swann security app has a 4.4 rating from 15,154 Android users and a 4.7 rating from 6,007 iOS owners. Despite the high rating, though, both apps have a history of lagging and sometimes dropping connection after an update.
Swann vs Arlo: The 6 Best Security Cameras From the Manufacturers
The following are some of the best Arlo and Swann security cameras to help you better understand the distinction between the two.
Best overall: Swann 8CH spotlight Security Camera System
- SEE MORE IN FULL HD 1080P VIDEO: This state-of-the-art 4 camera, 8 channel DVR-4580 wired...
- TIRED OF PAYING FOR EXTRA STORAGE? ENJOY FREE VIDEO STORAGE WITH NO ONGOING COSTS: This wired...
- 8-channel DVR recorder
- Infrared and colored night vision
- Preinstalled hard drive
- Wide 90-degree field of field
- True detect heat detection (cars, humans, and pets)
This is our winner of the Editor’s choice in the Swann category. It has everything that you need for monitoring your home or small store, starting with the Full-HD DVR and cameras.
Each of the cameras has a superior 2-megapixel image sensor that delivers crystal-clear 1080p HD pictures during the daytime. Then when the nighttime falls, there’s an integrated spotlight that lights up and enables the lens to capture in color.
The security camera system supports up to eight cameras, which means you can get all to keep an eye on every angle of your property. Furthermore, the recorder allows remote viewing so that you can connect with your loved ones while even away.
Best Budget: Swann 1080p FHD Home Security Camera System
- SEE MORE IN FULL HD 1080P VIDEO: This state-of-the-art 2 camera, 4 channel DVR-4580 wired...
- TIRED OF PAYING FOR EXTRA STORAGE? ENJOY FREE VIDEO STORAGE WITH NO ONGOING COSTS: This wired...
- 8-channel wired DVR
- 1080p HD cameras
- Wide 90-degree viewing angle
- Remote access and motion detection alerts
- Colored or black and white night vision
If you need an expandable CCTV that fits your tight budget, this piece can make it up for you. It delivers crisp 1080p HD footage, with rich color during the day and at night. Thus, easier to identify the persons outside your garage door or their faded van.
Thanks to its wired style, this security camera system provides seamless streaming and without interferences. It also has the True Detect technology that enables the camera to only capture events that matter: from warm bodies like people, animals, and cars.
Furthermore, the security camera system comes with a preinstalled hard drive. Thus, enabling you to save the footage without having to go back to the store or pay for the cloud.
Best Clarity: Swann Ultra-HD Wired Surveillance Camera System
- ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION VIDEO: This top of the line 4 camera, 8 channel DVR-5580 wired surveillance...
- Tired of paying for extra storage? Enjoy free video storage with no ongoing costs: This wired...
- 8-channel wired DVR recorder
- 4K Ultra-HD video quality
- 150-200 feet night vision range
- True Detect motion sensor
- Outdoor or indoor use
- Remote access and motion detection
If you plan on watching a highly important area, this system may be a better solution for you. It has 4K Ultra-HD video quality that’s not only great for capturing objects in detail but also allows you to zoom those at a distance without drastically diminishing the quality.
The surveillance camera system comes with four security cameras but you could add another four to lessen blind spots. It also comes with a preinstalled hard disk that makes it possible to save footage at no fee.
Furthermore, the security camera system supports smart home integration with Alexa and Google Assistant devices. Thus, enabling hands-free control while also you build a special ecosystem.
Best overall: Arlo Pro 2 WiFi Wireless Security Camera System
- Durable, weatherproof design
- 1080p Full HD video quality
- 7 rolling days free cloud
- Audio recording and 2-way talk
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa devices
- Flexible powering options- battery or plugged in
As they always say, old is gold; and old is the best. Well, the Arlo Pro 2 came before the Arlo Ultra and Arlo Essential but it still a favorite of many homeowners who need a smarter way to watch over their homes.
The wireless security camera is 100% wire-free, which means you can place it in whatever position without limitations. It also has a sturdy, weatherproof design to support indoor and outdoor use without a fail. Still, the WiFi CCTV captures footage in 1080p Full HD, which of course, is enough for most monitoring needs.
Furthermore, the system comes with a 7-day free cloud recording space. so, you necessarily don’t need to buy a smart plan, unless you would want to enjoy continuous video recording.
Best Budget: Arlo Essential Spotlight Battery-Powered Security Camera System
- Capture clear details in full high definition - Arlo's Essential security camera records video in...
- Coverage from every corner - Fast, wireless setup, the Essential Spotlight surveillance & security...
- Full 1080p HD video resolution
- Durable and weather-resistant
- Active deterrence (automatic/manual)
- Supports Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple Homekit
- Rechargeable battery and plugging the power
This is one of the affordable security cameras that you can get from Arlo. It’s also one of the recent additions from the company and it doesn’t need a hub to work unless you would want to propagate the wireless signal.
Even so, the security camera still captures in 1080p full HD and didn’t include any new-fangled feature as we’d expect. But it has a built-in LED light that can help deter burglars and record in color at night.
Furthermore, the wireless cam has a built-in mic and speaker that guarantees audio recording, plus two-way talk. The speaker is also used by the siren feature to ward off intruders while the mic can detect sound and trigger recording.
Best Clarity: Arlo Ultra 4K UHD WiFi Security Camera System
- UHD video quality - Zoom in to see sharp details with Arlo Ultra’s 4K & HDR advanced image quality...
- 180 Degree diagonal field of view - See more with a wider angle lens that has auto image correction...
- 100% wire-free design
- Integrated spotlight
- 4K Ultra-HD video quality
- Super-wide 180° field of view
- Compact and weather-resistant
Last but not least is an option that you can use to monitor the main entrance, garage, and other important areas. It delivers high-quality, vivid pictures that you can zoom without affecting the key details. And if it’s at night, there’s an added spotlight that improves visibility and enables colored recording.
The security camera can work either indoor or outdoor, courtesy of the sleek, sturdy, high impact, and weather-resistant construction. It also uses rechargeable batteries, which means there are no wires to dictate where to mount.
Moreover, the wireless cam has a building speaker, mic, and noise-canceling technology. Thus, you can engage in a crystal-clear 2-way conversation while even hundreds of miles away.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How long does Arlo security camera battery last?
A battery-powered security camera can be very helpful in locations inaccessible to wired power or areas without electricity. Nearly all Arlo cameras operate on a rechargeable battery that the company claims to go for up to 6 months. However, this is not the case for most people as the power consumption depends on various factors, not limited to resolution, traffic, recording mode, and active features.
Does Arlo work without a subscription?
All Arlo cameras are WiFi operated and rely on the cloud for storage. Arlo Pro 2 and previous models do have free 7-day storage and also you can backup the footage to a USB via the base. All the later systems, starting Pro 3, doesn’t have a free cloud package, rather a trial for a limited period. However, the Arlo ultra does support an SD card for local storage.
Do you need WIFI for Swann security cameras?
Swann is one of the best providers of security cameras for home and business. The brand mostly makes expandable systems with DVR recorder. Thus, you necessarily don’t need internet, unless you would want to enable remote viewing.
Can Swann security cameras be hacked?
Swann can be a great security brand if you’re okay to deal with limited smart features. Its products are budget-friendly, plus have innovative designs. Even better, Swann security cameras are not wireless, rather wired to the recorder and hard disk. This means the brand’s systems are pretty harder to hack than its counterpart who offers only WiFi cameras.
If you’re looking for any but good security camera to use on your property, both Arlo and Swann are a perfect choice. The two offer cameras that record high-resolution pictures and even some colored at night. You can also find indoor and outdoor selections of cameras, plus the companies have cloud-based storage service.
Furthermore, all the two security providers have basic smart analytic features, including advanced motion detection and facial recognition.
Regardless, Swann is pretty much better than Arlo if have a large property to monitor or when you don’t need to pay monthly bills. The bland offers DVR systems of up to 16 channels, thus allowing you to connect cameras for different positions.
Also, Swann security camera systems primarily use a hard disk to store the footage. Thus, you can record 24/7 and you might not need to pay for the cloud.