An outdoor security light is one of the most effective ways to deter uninvited guests before vandalizing or breaking into your property. That simply means if you have one of the best spotlight security cameras, you can not only scare away the would-be burglars. But also capture their faces in a clear video that you can forward to the authorities for faster investigation and prosecution.
Even so, there are currently very many brands of CCTV systems in the market today. So, you need to know what to look for if you’re to at least get most of the results (if not all) you were expecting.
Luckily, this guide comprises everything you need to choose the right spotlight security camera for your home or even business. That includes the nine crucial features, as well as a few top examples to narrow the search if you don’t have the time to do all the research.
What’s the Best Spotlight Security Cameras in 2023?
- 1 What’s the Best Spotlight Security Cameras in 2023?
- 2 When You Might Need to Get a Spotlight Security Camera
- 2.1 Our Favorite Pick: Ring Spotlight Cam Wired WiFi Security Camera
- 2.2 Best Under $50: Wyze Cam V3 IP65-Rated Spotlight Security Camera
- 2.3 Best Deal: EufyCam 2C Wire-Free Spotlight Security Camera Kit
- 2.4 Best of Budget: Dzees CG6 Solar Spotlight Wireless Security Camera
- 2.5 Best of Coverage: SOLIOM S600 Spotlight Pan Tilt Security Camera
- 2.6 Best of Resolution: Arlo Ultra 2 Ultra-HD Spotlight Security Camera Kit
- 2.7 Best of Design: BOSMA EX Pro 2K HD Auto-Tracking Security Camera
- 2.8 Alternative: REOLINK Argus 3 Wireless Solar Spotlight Security camera
- 2.9 Quick Guide: 9 Things to Always Look When Choosing the best Spotlight Security Camera
- 3 Commonly Asked Questions:
- 4 Our Top Picks.
When advising about CCTV systems, there’s one thing we usually say and we’ll repeat: Always choose a security camera that fits your specific requirements and even preferences.
Otherwise, purchasing a particular brand for your new neighbor, Jimmy, has a similar one will likely end up disappointing you at some point.
Long story short, the four best spotlight security cameras that lead on our shortlist after an in-depth evaluation include:
Our favorite Pick: Ring Spotlight Cam Wired WiFi Security Camera
Supports 1080p video resolution, 140-degree field of view, two-way talk, built-in siren, customizable motion detection, 2.4GHz connectivity, & 375-lumen brightness
Best Under $50: Wyze Cam V3 IP65-Rated Spotlight Security Camera
Features a 2MP Starlight sensor, color night vision, MicroSD card support, 24/7 continuous recording, IP65 weatherproof rating, motion & sound detection
Comes with a two cameras, 1080p video resolution, built-in spotlight, rechargeable batteries, free human/ face detection, 16GB local storage, & Audio functions
When You Might Need to Get a Spotlight Security Camera
If we’re to be honest, there’s every reason to get a spotlight security camera for your property:
Crispier Night Recording: the integrated white LEDs in a spotlight security camera help supply the sensor with the light need to process images. Thus, giving you clearer & colored videos at night.
Deterrence benefits: As we said earlier, the spotlight camera can help ward off potential burglars before vandalizing your property. You can set the integrated LED/s to light up automatically after detecting motion or activate manually through the app.
Don’t have outdoor lighting: indeed, a quality spotlight security camera might be a better multi-function solution if you’re yet to install outdoor lighting.
Live in a rented property: if you’re a renter, you can get a battery-powered wireless security camera with a spotlight that requires no drilling or wiring. Thus, offering you the lighting and CCTV benefits without falling out with your landlord.
Our Favorite Pick: Ring Spotlight Cam Wired WiFi Security Camera
- Connect your Ring camera with Alexa then enable announcements to be alerted when motion is detected....
- Lets you see, hear and speak to visitors from your phone, tablet and PC.
The ring is the overall best spotlight security camera, and not just on my list, but also in the entire category. The Spotlight Cam Wired here’s one of the bestsellers from the brand, and a perfect example if you want a plug-in camera with decent brightness.
Unlike the others, on the list, it has 8-LED spotlights that shine your area with up to 375 lumens of brightness. And even though not as powerful as the Ring Floodlight Cam, it’s bright enough to improve your nighttime recordings with color.
Speaking of the recordings, the Spotlight Cam Wired has a 2MP image sensor that records video in 1080p Full HD. Then, there’s a built-in microphone so you can get footage with audio, plus a speaker to enable two-way conversation.
- It delivers bright & sharp crisp images
- Easy to install, configure, & operate
- Has a wide lens to cover large scene
- Also includes a built-in siren feature
- Supports hands-free control with Alexa
- The audio is clear enough to hear conversations
- It lacks a 24/7 recording option
- Requires a monthly subscription
- Tricky to watch the feed on the PC/ laptop
Best Under $50: Wyze Cam V3 IP65-Rated Spotlight Security Camera
- Smart Security: Light turns on automatically when motion is detected. The Wyze Cam v3 records video...
- Two-way audio and Siren: Greet and speak with visitors with loud two-way audio. The Wyze Cam v3 also...
If you need a simple but effective spotlight security camera under $50, the Wyze V3 definitely fits the bill. It’s also one of the bestsellers in the market, and there’s every reason for that.
If we start on the picture quality, the wireless camera captures videos in up to 1080p Full HD Quality. It also uses the advanced starlight sensor, thereby you’ll notice sharper pictures than the previous Wyze V2 on the regular CMOS sensor.
More on that, the Starlight sensor’s naturally more sensitive to light, thereby giving you clearer infrared (black & white) night vision. And if you have ambient lighting as with the Wyze V3 spotlight camera, you can continue recording in full color at night.
Even better, the security camera has a built-in slot for MicroSD, thereby you necessarily don’t need to pay for the cloud.
- It’s very affordable
- Delivers excellent & clear pictures
- Has audio recording & two-way talk
- Includes continuous video recording
- Has sound detection & built-in siren
- You can mount either indoor or outdoor
- You’ll need to pay for human detection
- Has no fast-forward for the recorded video
- It’s not compatible with Apple HomeKit devices
Best Deal: EufyCam 2C Wire-Free Spotlight Security Camera Kit
- eufy Security, eufyCam 2C 2-Cam Kit, Security Camera Outdoor, Wireless Home Security System with...
- Half-Year Security from 1 Charge - Avoid frequent trips to charge the battery and enjoy 180-day...
The EufyCam Kit is no doubt the best spotlight security camera deal you can find in the market right now. Of course, the promo is a limited-time thing, but has up to 25% off, bringing the price to around $180. But then, is the price worth it?
Well, first of all, Eufy sends the security system as a complete kit with a Homebase and two cameras. Thus, allowing you to cover both your front door and backyard right from one box.
Secondly, each of the sent cameras records in 1080p resolution, which you’ll find pretty enough for general monitoring. Then, the camera has built-in audio functions so you can record video you can also listen, as well as enable two-way conversations.
Furthermore, the Eufy camera includes built-in 16GB EMMC storage for local recording, plus a free human detection feature.
- It records clear daytime videos
- Delivers decent & colored night vision
- Pairs with Alexa for hands-free control
- Has a compact design that’s easy to hide
- Can work well out in the open or indoors
- It has human & face detection to reduce false alerts
- It doesn’t support continuous recording
- The motion detection isn’t always on time
- You can’t expand the built-in local storage
Best of Budget: Dzees CG6 Solar Spotlight Wireless Security Camera
- 【100% Wireless & Eco-friendly Solar Security Camera】Outdoor camera wireless with built-in...
- 【Advanced AI Human Pet Vehicle Recognition & PIR Motion Detection】 With AI technology, this...
Although a newly-released product, the Dzees CG6 camera is doing pretty well in a very competitive environment. It has been able to stand out from the great pricing, which not only covers for the camera but also a solar panel.
So, you can mount it in areas inaccessible to cabled power, and you’ll never have to worry about recharging.
Similar to the models above, this wireless security camera records in up to 1080p Full HD resolution. And at a glance, the image clarity for both day and night recordings is pretty okay for the price.
On top of that, the security camera has multiple audio functions, including not only sound recording. But also a built-in siren, which will work in hand with the spotlight at the front to deter your uninvited guests.
- It has a friendly budget
- Records excellent videos
- So easy to setup & operate
- Has an exceptional coverage
- Requires no subscription to use
- It’s a compact, easy to hide design
- It has a flimsy mounting gimbal
- Doesn’t have continuous video recording
- The motion detection is too sensitive on the highest setting
Best of Coverage: SOLIOM S600 Spotlight Pan Tilt Security Camera
- Pan Tilt Broader & Flexible View: The security camera S600 can turn its head 320° horizontally and...
- Full 1080P HD & Color Night Vision: The wireless security camera S600 is 1080p full HD day time...
The SOLIOM S600 is the best outdoor security camera with spotlight you can use to keep an eye on a large area at once. As a pan-tilt (PT) design, you can remotely rotate it up to 320° horizontally and 90° vertically. Thus, making it possible to watch an entire front or backyard with only a single tool.
Similar to the others, the PT security camera records in the standard 1080p resolution, which is enough for most home applications. It also has a 90-degree field of view and the motion detection works for anything within 155°.
Speaking of detection, the wireless camera doesn’t have any advanced AI features, rather a PIR motion sensor. So, yes, you’ll cut down the false alerts, but not as much as you’d have with person and face detection.
- It has an extensive coverage
- Records decent videos with audio
- Supports two-way talk & siren feature
- You can easily pan & tilt from the app
- Has MicroSD support for free recording
- It has an integrated solar panel for recharging
- It lacks 24/7 continuous recording
- Doesn’t have the auto-tracking feature
- The motion detection isn’t always accurate
Best of Resolution: Arlo Ultra 2 Ultra-HD Spotlight Security Camera Kit
- Free local storage - Remotely access your locally secured smart camera footage from the included...
- Smarter alerts, quicker action - With an Arlo Secure plan, receive smarter notifications for people,...
Arlo is one of the best American security camera brands, especial with its Pro series. The Arlo Ultra series was more like an upgrade of the Pro cameras, but, sadly, it didn’t pan out as the marker has hoped. Regardless, many people are still going for it, which is why we’ve included it on our list.
One of the best features of the Arlo Ultra 2 is the fact that you can mount in areas incapable of wiring, thanks to the built-in batteries. It also sends the captured pictures wirelessly to the Homebase unit, thereby giving you a completely wire-free setup.
Just as the name, the Arlo camera also has an 8MP image sensor that should give you up to 4K Ultra-HD video recordings. However, it also has an ultra-wide field of vision, which, of course, makes it possible to cover a large scene of your property. But at the same time squeezes the recorded image to fit into the whole frame, thereby leading to distortion and a loss of some details.
- It delivers videos with audio
- Records colored night vision
- Supports both 2.4 & 5GHz WiFi
- Includes two-way talk & siren feature
- Supports continuous recording (on the cloud)
- It has a compact design for discrete surveillance
- It’s very expensive to own
- Drains batteries faster than expected
- You can’t view the SD card on the mobile app
Best of Design: BOSMA EX Pro 2K HD Auto-Tracking Security Camera
- Super HD & Auto-Tracking: Take a closer look at unwanted visitors with super HD 2K (2304x1296)...
- Fewer False Alarms: Tired of unneeded notifications on your mobile phone from moving cars and...
If you’re looking for a sleek security camera for a smart home, BOSMA is one of the places you can start the search. The EX Pro here is one of their latest creations and has a pretty cool design.
It features an exclusive pan-tilt design, whereby it can rotate horizontally up to 180° and vertically at 45°. And unlike the SOLIOM S600 above, it has the auto-tracking feature, which will follow the object in motion until it leaves the frame.
Also, BOSMA has crafted this camera with a 3MP image sensor, which captures 1.5 times clearer pictures than 1080p cameras. Then, it has a built-in spotlight that works both for deterrence and improving night vision quality.
Even better, the WiFi camera has multiple audio features, including recording, two-way talk, and siren. You can activate the siren feature manually, by motion, or when someone tries to disconnect the power cord. Hence, the purpose for the built-in backup batteries.
- It gives sharp & clear videos
- Quick & straightforward to setup
- Covers a large area of your property
- Supports both sound & motion detection
- Can lock & follow the person within the frame
- You can easily share the camera app with family members
- It doesn’t support SD card storage
- Can’t access/ view from PC or laptop
- The motion auto-tracking is relatively slow
Alternative: REOLINK Argus 3 Wireless Solar Spotlight Security camera
- 2K 4MP Video Clarity: Boasting luminous spotlights and 4-megapixel starlight CMOS sensor, crisp...
- Battery-powered & Wire-free: Mount outside where wires can’t, hassle-free. With multiple mount...
Last on the list is the third generation of the famous Reolink Argus series. Of course, this particular model’s yet to reach the level of the previous models in terms of recognition, but it still has many great capabilities.
The six best features that we appreciate most on the camera include:
- The camera can record up to 1080p
- Has a motion-activated spotlight
- Includes audio recording & two-way talk
- Has both siren & customized audio messages
- Comes with a built-in battery & a solar panel
- It has a slot for MicroSD & free 7-day cloud storage
What we don’t Like
- It sends pretty many false alerts
- Has a weak magnetic mount stand
- The sound quality isn’t the best
- Also, the WiFi range’s relatively low
Quick Guide: 9 Things to Always Look When Choosing the best Spotlight Security Camera
In the chart before the reviews, we listed down the image resolution, field of view, source of power, and weatherproof rating. The four are usually the major features when looking for any security camera, with or without a spotlight, especially for outdoor applications. However, there are a few other functions you might need, as shown below.
- Video resolution: choose the highest to get crispier images you can even zoom without excessive pixelation.
- Field of vision: a wide-angle camera is great for extensive coverage, but not too wide (as Arlo Ultra 2) as it can cause distortion issues
- Power supply: make sure you choose the perfect choice for your property
- Weatherproof: choose a camera with the highest dust/ water protection rating to ensure outdoor use without damage
- Spotlight brightness: if you don’t have an existing light in an area, we’d recommend choosing a security camera with the brightest spotlight possible
- Free video storage: Are you okay with paying a monthly subscription? if not, choose a security camera with either MicroSD support, free cloud storage, or both.
- Audio capabilities: Indeed, a security camera that can record audio can help speed up investigation & even prosecution. Two-way talk & siren features can also come in handy.
- Video recording speed: if possible, choose a spotlight security camera with the highest frame rate for smoother videos and rich details.
- An overall, well-made design: it will make no sense to be replacing your security camera after three months or even a year. So, get a system with a good recommendation (check online consumer reviews) on performance, durability, and overall convenience.
Commonly Asked Questions:
Which CCTV camera is best for night vision?
Typically, the quality of nighttime recordings varies from one CCTV brand to another. But from our list, Ring Spotlight Cam is the best camera for night vision since it has more powerful (375 lumens) spotlights.
How does a spotlight camera work?
Similarly, the concept here varies with the brand. However, many spotlight cameras work in hand with the motion sensor, whereby the white LEDs will light up after detecting movements. In some cases, you might also have the option to manually power on/ off the spotlight from the app.
Do security cameras light up at night?
YES, a spotlight security camera can automatically light up at night when there are movements. Thus, brightening up the area and allowing you to see whoever/ whatever has triggered the sensor more clearly.
Our Top Picks.
As we mentioned in the very beginning, choosing the best spotlight security camera for your property could be more rewarding than just an outdoor light. Not only do you get to brighten up the supposedly dark area, but also see whatever might have been lurking in that darkness.
As for our top recommendations, Ring Spotlight Cam is still our overall best spotlight security camera. It’s most of the crucial features, including crisp videos, audio functions, weatherproof design, and plug-in power for continuous operations.
The Eufy Cam 2C is also a great spotlight camera, especially if you want free person detection and a 100% wire-free installation. But if the two hundred bucks are too much, the Wyze Cam V3 Spotlight has many desirable features at only $49.