While seeking for security solutions, Reolink Argus 2 vs Argus Pro can trick you if you are one of the not-so-techie types. The two share a lot, and that can make you pay for one, but only to wish later you should have picked the other.
Of course, both cameras are genuinely affordable. So, you can even get the two of them and enjoy their dual-convenience. Even so, knowing their single difference is really nice as you can avoid the unneeded expense by buying exactly what matches your needs.
As your most trusted security cameras expert, we will help you uncover the likenesses and differences between argus 2 vs argus pro. Then, you can now have a better insight on what to expect while in the market place.
Each of the products is available in two different ways on the sale points. So, we will also do four brief reviews that explain each item and its included components.
- 1 An Overview of Reolink Argus 2 and Argus Pro
- 2 Features and Capabilities of Reolink Argus 2 and Argus Pro
- 3 Reolink Argus 2 vs Argus Pro Comparison Table
- 4 Buying Options Of Reolink Argus 2 and Argus Pros
- 5 FAQ
- 6 Conclusion
On our recent Reolink security camera system review, we introduced you to the brand’s history and its inspiration. As we noted, the security provider believes that every person has the right to proper protection from any harm or danger. Hence, the main reason they offer affordable and high performing CCTV systems.
The Argus 2 and Argus Pro are two of the bestselling variants from the brand. With the latest smart technologies, the cameras guarantee you a securer environment, plus a lovely user experience.
Here is a short history of each before we compare their features and capabilities.
Originally, this is an upgrade of the original Argus camera. It was an idea from the brand’s founder, Colin Liu, who was hoping to create something smart and completely wire-free. The surveillance cam was a great breakthrough in video surveillance technologies and it even won a title.
Even before a year was down, though, the glorious maker introduced a second-generation Argus security camera. The new Reolink Argus™ 2 was a product to envy as it featured upgraded features of the first-generation model.
Unlike its predecessor, it has a flexible powering option and the rechargeable battery could now last longer. The image quality remained at true 1080p Full HD, but the designers did improve on the nighttime functions to enhance clarity.
Overall, Argus 2 was outstanding but its success was not as Reolink fans would have thought. This is so as in the same year, 2018, the brand introduced another version of the camera, Argus Pro. Thereby, presenting the consumers with another option to secure their properties.
Although, its name even sound more tech-like, however, the new product was not much but a surprise. Most of its features were the same ones on the first and second-generation models. As a matter of fact, it was more of the former, which explains its lower price tag that every potential customer can afford
In other words, Reolink introduced Argus Pro to continue the legacy of the original model, which is no longer in the market.
You may also interest: Reolink vs Lorex
While buying Reolink Argus 2, it’s very easy for a seller to deceive you with the Argus Pro. The two have an identical look, with a shiny white body and reflective blackface. Also, their dimensions are similar. Hence, leaving only one physical aspect to tell them apart- the mounting options.
The Argus 2 has a magnetic base that allows you to either attach to a steel ball mount or screw on the bracket mount. For the Argus pro, however, you have to rely on the bracket at best, since it doesn’t have a magnetic bottom.
While comparing Reolink argus 2 vs argus pro for image quality, you can’t differentiate them well during the day. Both have a 2MP sensor that delivers sharp and crystal 1080p Full HD videos. Also, they share a similar H.264 video compression. So, the streaming manner is the same.
If you can compare the two cameras at night, nonetheless, the Argus 2 is easy to identify due to its starlight technology. While its peer switches to black and white when the dusk crawls, the camera can still record in color if there’s still light.
If the environment is extremely dark, the Argus 2 camera now records black and white images, but with vivid details and clarity.
Field Of Vision
For this one, Reolink used a similar style. The two cameras have a 130° super wide viewing angle. Thereby offering broader coverage so that you can use lesser cameras on your large compound.
Also, this is a shared feature between reolink argus 2 and argus pro. The two cameras come with a built-in mic and speaker to enable recording of video footage that you can listen to. Plus you can enjoy a two-way conversation with your kids, or else use to scare away the potential burglar.
Reolink designed our two cameras with a microSD card slot that can hold a capacity of up 64GB. Also, the group has recently introduced a cloud service that is limited to only a few product lines, including Argus cameras.
As such, you’ll always have a piece of evidence in the event of an incident. Be it the internet is down or the SD card is broken.
While looking for the best solar powered security camera, the Reolink Argus line is the best place for you to start. The product category features spectacular CCTV cameras that allow you to enjoy non-stop monitoring cleanly and economically.
Therefore, argus 2 and argus pro do share this aspect, whereby both runs on a rechargeable battery. The batteries have a similar capacity of 5200mAh, and you can charge them with either Reolink solar or a 5V 2A power adapter.
As systems of the latest making, the Argus cameras do support the remote access function. Therefore, you can receive real-time intrusion alerts and also remotely view live footage of your property from anywhere, anytime.
If you have only a single camera, you can even register for the Basic Reolink cloud plan and enjoy free video playback.
Smart Home Integration
If you fancy smart home automation, Reolink is a brand you’ll live to enjoy while using. For a model, argus 2 and argus pro can sync with your Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa devices to allow voice control.
Thereby, enabling you to control several functions of your CCTV camera, while at the same time doing other chores.
As for the affordability, all Reolink security cameras come at very reasonable pricing. Even for our two models, you can get them together if you wanted as it will cost you less than $180.
While comparing their price tags, nonetheless, the Argus 2 cost about $20 more than the Argus pro. This is so due to the few extra features that the creator has added to give you better user experience. A good example is the Starlight Sensor that allows you to enjoy top-quality images in bright and low-lighted backgrounds.
On the market, Reolink offers the Argus 2 and Argus Pro in two different ways. Although the security provider has not stated why so, our good guess is to improve affordability and to serve your unique preferences.
The following are the different versions of Reolink argus 2 and argus pro that you can get online.
To enjoy the very best monitoring, this is one of the top options to consider. It features a 2MP image sensor and 130° super-wide field of vision that enables broader coverage with crystal 1080p HD videos.
In case you have a large compound, you can, therefore, use fewer cameras but still enjoy maximum protection.
Still, the wireless camera has an advanced starlight CMOS sensor that enables clearer visibility in low-lighted and pitch-dark environments. The function works in hand with a smart PIR sensor that ensures nothing ever happens around your properties and go unnoticed.
- It delivers sharp and crisp images that you can even zoom and retain their clarity
- Has the advanced starlight technology to deliver enhanced image quality at night
- Supports audio recording and an excellent two-way talk
- Features a magnetic bottom for easier setup
- Has a smart siren to scare away potential robber and stop a burglary attempt
- Supports 2-way storage option
- Allows hands-free control via Alexa or Google Assistant
- Comes with a sturdy, IP65 weatherproof body to support both indoor and outdoor use
- The security camera is 100% wire-free. So, you can mount anywhere you prefer
- It doesn’t come with a solar panel. Hence, you’ll need to buy separately
- Has no support for ONVIF protocol. Therefore, you can’t use third-party apps like Blue Iris or iSpy.
- Starlight Night Vision: With a starlight CMOS sensor, 1080p Full HD high resolution presents up to...
- Free Rolling 7-day Cloud Storage: Event videos are securely uploaded to SD card or Reolink cloud via...
This is the same one Reolink Argus 2, including on the design and the performance part. Its only difference with the product above is that the provider offers it with a solar panel to charge the fitted battery.
Therefore, the rest of the features are the same as the above system. They include:
- A magnetic bottom and steel ball mount for effortless setup
- Vivid 1080p video with audio
- Starlight night vision, for enhanced image quality in low-lighted backgrounds
- A two-way talk for an interactive conversation with your kids or the unknown guest
- A high efficient Reolink solar panel
- Alexa and Google Assistant support
- Smart siren to deter crime, and
- A PIR motion sensor that only detects people and animals
After the exit of the original Argus Camera, Reolink introduced this pro version to carry on the work. The cam costs several dollars lesser than Argus 2. So, you can opt for it when you have a tight budget but want to buy several cameras to cover your large compound.
With a 2MP image sensor, the CCTV camera delivers sharp and crystal images that you can even read a license plate at 30-40 feet distance. At night, the camera has six powerful 850nm IR LEDs that supports visibility up to 33ft.
Since it runs on a rechargeable battery and transmits the video wirelessly, this HD camera is very quick and effortless to setup. Thus, you won’t need to hire a technician to install it for you.
- It delivers bright and crisp images, with vivid details and clarity
- Has a 130-degree viewing angle to cover more grounds
- Features an excellent infrared night vision
- Supports audio recording and two-way talk
- Relies on a smart PIR sensor for motion detection and alerts
- Includes a smart siren to scare away the burglars
- You can choose either SD card or Cloud service for your storage options
- Allows live view and video playback
- The camera is IP65 weatherproof to offer a longer-lasting service.
- Comes without a solar panel
- Not ONVIF compliant. So, you can’t use with third-party apps like iSpy
- Wireless and Simple Installation - The Argus Pro+Solar Panel system can be easily mounted and...
- Voice Control with Alexa - You will see live feed from the Reolink Argus Pro camera on your Echo...
The camera features a design and capabilities similar to the Argus Pro that we have just discussed. Its only difference is that it comes with a solar panel to support your camera and ensure non-stop monitoring.
In brief, its features include:
- A superior sensor that records vivid 1080p video
- An excellent night vision of up to 33 feet
- Audio recording and a two-way talk for an interactive conversation
- A high efficient Reolink solar panel
- Supports Alexa and Google Assistant to enable voice control
- Comes with a Smart siren to deter crime, and
- Also, the wireless camera uses a PIR sensor that detects movements with minimal false triggers
The period a camera last before needing a recharge depends on how busy it has been and if it was fully charged last time.
According to the provider, a fully charged battery can last 6 months in standby mode. After our extensive research, though, we came to find that at normal use, the camera can last between four weeks and 2 months. And if there’re lesser activities, it can retain the power for 2-3 months.
Absolutely, yes! The cameras encrypt your video feed and footage by using SSL [HTTPS] internet security protocol. Thereby, assuring you optimal privacy, without the prying eyes getting to see the recordings on your home/ business.
The camera comes with a battery that will be recharging with AC power or its solar panel. Upon capturing the required objects, the system transmits those images to your viewing device via a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection. The motion-activated recordings can also save if there’s an SD card or you have an active cloud plan.
What is the difference between Argus Pro and Argus 2?
Reolink Argus pro and Argus 2 have more similarities than the differences. As such, it’s so easy to confuse them.
To distinguish them quickly, however, you only need to check the bottom part. If it’s magnetic, that’s Argus 2, but if it’s not magnetic, then that is the pro version.
The other way to tell the two apart is by the starlight sensor used on the former. This allows it to deliver clearer images at night than its counterpart.
As you go to buy a security camera to help in monitoring your property, choosing the right system is very crucial. You’ll get to receive high-level security, while at the same time enjoy the ease of use. Every surveillance cam, however, has its design and features. So, you have to be real careful while discerning your needs and the system to get.
If it happens and you’re confused on which to choose between reolink argus 2 vs argus pro, we can recommend you the former. Not that it’s very different from its sister. But you’ll get to enjoy sharper images from its unique starlight sensor, plus also you’ll benefit from two means of installation.
Other than that, though, both Argus cameras are spectacular security products since they are affordable and high performing. You can even get the two and make one for outdoor use and the other for indoor surveillance. Hence, getting double protection.