As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more.
In this post, we’re going to compare Night Owl vs Arlo security cameras to see how they differ in terms of capabilities. The comparison review, however, is kind of unfair as one is for personal smart home devices and the other is for expandable DVR/ NRV CCTV systems.
Regardless, Arlo and Night Owl are both set out to bring you safe and reliable security tech. Either has a variety of products to choose from, which means you can always find what you wanted.
That said, though, Arlo CCTV cameras are mostly wireless, standalone designs. It’s one of the best brands to go for if you don’t want to deal with or have wires around the house. Yes, the brand has been in the industry long enough,
dating when it was still under the wings of Netgear. But still I don’t think we should expect them to make an NVR or DVR system anytime soon.
More on that, let’s jump into our Arlo vs Night Owl review and see what you as a first buyer should expect. We’ll start the subject with an overview of both companies, just in case you’re new to CCTV technology.
Arlo vs Night owl security camera comparison
Night Owl vs Arlo: An overview of the Manufacturers
Night Owl Security Cameras
Truthfully, our office has a Heimvision NVR security system at the moment. We haven’t tried any Night Owl model, but we’re hoping to receive the DVR model C20W-41-4L soon and see what it can do.
In any case, Night Owl is a great choice if you’re looking for an expandable security camera system at a low budget. The company, however, is like a contradiction of the Arlo cameras, whereby you’ll not find a standalone camera. It’s either a DVR or NVR unit.
Happily, if we may say, Night Owl is pretty determined and committed to providing reliable and convenient security systems. As mentioned in our previous Night Owl Security camera Review, the Florida-based provider is one of the fastest-growing creators.
On the product catalog, it has already added 4K Ultra-HD technology, which allows you to watch your home or business in sharpest. Then, in late 2019, it received the U.S. patent for its ground-breaking PIR technology.
Arlo Security Cameras
Again, Arlo Technologies is the opposite of what Night Owl does. The company only makes smart home security devices, including standalone cameras and recently they have released video doorbells.
Strangely, Netgear predominantly makes internet modems and routers, which explains why Arlo cameras are only wifi-enabled. In fact, you need to have an internet connection to continue using any of the Arlo devices since their base station is cloud-based.
Meanwhile, Arlo is a perfect choice if you’re looking for a decent security system to add to your smart home ecosystem. The brand has been able to stand out from the rest through its focus on a wire-free style.
Just recently, Arlo has expanded its smart security camera catalog with the Arlo Essential Spotlight and Essential XL Spotlight. In which case the latter is more of an update of the former with extended battery life.
You may also like:
The 6 Best Night Owl Vs Arlo Security Systems
The following are some of the best Arlo and Night Owl security camera systems to help you identify the difference between the two.
Arlo VMS4130 Pro HD Indoor/ Outdoor Security Camera
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- 100 Wire free : Free of power cords and wiring hassles, easily place Arlo Pro cameras wherever you...
This was the second Arlo camera release when the brand name was still under the management of Netgear. A lot no doubt has changed on the CCTV tech, but the maker’s not discontinued it due to those who prefer first designs.
Like all Arlo devices, this Pro camera has a sleek styling that you can use indoors without disrupting your overall aesthetics. It also has a well-made construction, with solid, weather-resistant housing. Hence, allows you to use outdoors as well without fearing rain, sun, or any other harsh weather conditions.
Regardless, the security camera has a 720p HD image resolution, which certainly is pretty low compared to what we have in the market. However, the captured images are clear and colored. So, you can make it your eyes on areas that are less sensitive- let’s say in the sitting room or hallway.
- It has an extra-wide field of view
- Gives you up to 7 days of free cloud recording
- Supports audio recording and two-way talk
- 100% wire-free (uses rechargeable batteries)
- It supports hands-free control with Alexa, Google Assistant, and smart things
- It can’t work without the internet
- No ideal for sensitive areas (due to ow imaging).
Arlo VMC4040P-100NAS Pro 3 Super-HD Wireless Security Camera
- Arlo Pro 3 Add-on Camera requires an Arlo SmartHub or Base Station, sold separately
- Zoom in to see sharp details - See and record video in 2K with HDR for a clearer, undistorted...
If budget isn’t a concern, this little guy is another awesome selection that you can pick for your smart home. Not only does it have a higher resolution, but also you can surveil your property in high clarity both day and night.
The security camera records in 2K HD, plus it has HDR technology to help balance image quality in varying backgrounds. Furthermore, it has an integrated spotlight that can help you record richer details in the darkness.
- It delivers sharp and crisp images, with vivid details
- Has colored night vision
- Can work indoor or outdoors in the open
- Includes Active deterrence to ward off intruders
- It supports package detection and customizable activity zones.
- It’s relatively expensive
- No free cloud recording or inbuilt local storage
Arlo VMS5140-100NAS Wire-Free 4K-Ultra HD Security Camera
- UHD video quality - Zoom in to see sharp details with Arlo Ultra’s 4K & HDR advanced image quality...
- 180 Degree diagonal field of view - See more with a wider angle lens that has auto image correction...
Introduced in the latest 2018, this camera was like the welcome wagon for Arlo Technologies as an independent brand. It packs a high 4K Ultra-HD resolution, which streams the activities as they are on the ground. And when the darkness covers your compound, there’s a powerful night vision with even color due to the built-in spotlight.
Like most from the maker, the system is completely free of wires- wireless and battery-powered. Thus, you won’t even need to pay anyone to install and set up.
- It gives superior video quality
- Has a super-wide field of view for broader coverage
- Supports motion and sound detection alerts
- Includes HDR and digital zoom to capture important details
- Records footage with audio, plus supports two-way talk
- It has multiple active deterrence
- Loss of signal in farther distances
- The customizable activity zones feature’s unreliable.
Night Owl 4-Channel 1080p Full HD Security Camera Kit
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
If you need to keep watch of your home or small store from different angles, this pack might help. It comprises a DVR C20W-41-4L and four bullet security cameras that you can use either indoor or outdoor.
Each camera has a 2mp image sensor, which, of course, is not the highest but perfect for general-purpose monitoring. Thanks to the integrated L2 color boost technology, the camera records in full color during the day, as well as in low lighted environments.
Even better, the security cameras have a built-in spotlight next to the motion sensor. Hence, it’ll immediately light up when someone or an animal crosses the camera lens.
- It gives excellent full HD videos
- Doesn’t require the internet to work
- Great at warding off potential intruders
- Comes with a preinstalled hard drive disk
- It’s a well-made, durable design and friendly budget.
- No audio features
- It has a sluggish and glitchy app (for remote viewing)
Night Owl XHD502-88P-B 8CH Super HD DVR Security Camera System
- 1 x 8 Channel 5MP DVR with pre-installed 2 TB Hard Drive.
- 8 x Indoor/Outdoor 5MP Wired Infrared Cameras.
This is an alternative CCTV unit that you can consider if you have a large property to monitor. It comprises an 8-channel DVR and eight wired security infrared cameras, with each featuring a superior 5mp image sensor. Hence, gives you a view of your home or shop with no grains or distorted images.
The cameras have a unique, sleek setting that you won’t have trouble installing indoors or outdoors. They also have an inbuilt infrared PIR sensor. Hence, picks motion alerts and record activity with minimal false alerts.
Speaking of recording, by the way, the included DVR comes with a preinstalled hard drive and advanced H.264+ video compression technology. Hence, saving footages for longer periods and at no cost involved.
- It’s easy to set up and configure
- Brings you clear and crisp images, with richer details
- Has an awesome night vision, with automatic switch
- Supports remote viewing through the internet
- It can connect with PTZ security camera models.
- The remote viewing app and software are not friendly
Night Owl WM-841-2MP CH8 Ful HD Wired Security Camera
- The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
Last but not least is another expandable unit that you can consider for your greater demands. We care for you to lie that the piece is the most famous, but it does have a good following in the surveillance market.
At 1080p full HD, the security camera system is quite enough for most monitoring requirements. However, it only comes with only four cameras in the package. Hence, you’ll have to add the remaining separately as per your demands. Each of the cameras has a solid, weatherproof design, allowing you to mount indoor or outdoor without worries.
- It has a rugged and durable design
- Features a wide viewing angle
- Requires no internet or monthly subscriptions
- Supports PTZ cameras for wider coverage
- It has advanced H.264+ video compression to reduce storage and bandwidth consumption.
When installing a CCTV system around your property, you certainly need to see what’s happening at all times of the day. So, a camera with a great night vision is very crucial to make sure you can see in the darkness.
Luckily, some models like the Arlo Pro 3 and Night Owl C20W-41-4L has an integrated spotlight. Thus, you can get videos richer in details even in no/ low lighted environments.
Overall, different security cameras have varying features and capabilities. The infrared LEDs are the first step for a security camera to see in the darkness. So, you have to ensure they are powerful enough.
But in case you notice the feature has very poor performance, you can provide some lighting in the area. However, avoid putting the lighting directly to the camera, or too close to prevent the instance of glare.
Another thing, don’t mount the camera too high off the ground as the night vision sensors also have their maximum distance range.
A Straightforward answer, NO. the Night Owl security cameras available at the moment are only DVR and NVR units, which are mostly hardwired although there are several wireless models. The systems also come with a preinstalled hard drive for local recording, which means you necessarily don’t cloud service.
Regardless, Night Owl has a remote access function, in which case now the internet is a must for you to stream from anywhere.
Different from two decades ago, the current security cameras are not just to ward off the thieves or (perhaps) prosecute. Many models now have features like two-way, facial recognition, missing object detection, amongst others. Hence, allowing you to keep an eye on your packages or welcome the kids home from school while even thousands of miles away.
That said, we hope our Arlo vs Night Owl review was helpful and with a solution to your situation. Don’t be left behind. Join the millions and enjoy the convenience of knowing what’s happening in your home or business all the time.
You may also like: