How big is your property? If it’s a wide compound, you’ll need to have either multiple cameras that you can mount at different positions. Or else a single best 360 degree outdoor security camera that you can mount at the center yet see everything within the area.
In this article, we’re going to focus on the latter solution involving 360° security cameras. We’ve put together all the crucial details about the piece of technology, including the various designs you can consider for your needs.
What’s The Best 360 Degree Outdoor Security Camera?
- 0.1 What’s The Best 360 Degree Outdoor Security Camera?
- 0.2 Is a 360 Degree Security Camera Any Good?
- 1 Comparing the Features, Pros, and Cons of the Best 360 Degree Outdoor Security Camera
- 1.1 1. Best Overall: ieGeek Battery Powered PT Security Camera
- 1.2 2. Best of Value: Eufy Floodlight Cam 2 Pro Security Camera
- 1.3 3. Best of Budget: EZVIZ C8C Lite Outdoor Security PT Camera
- 1.4 4. Best of Clarity: Amcrest Super-HD Fisheye PoE Security Camera
- 1.5 5. Best of Wire-Free: SOLIOM S600 Wireless Solar Security Camera
- 1.6 6. Alternative Wire-Free: BOIFUN S-GX1S Solar Security Camera
- 1.7 7. Alternative Budget: Morecam 844-2pack Pan-Tilt Security Camera Kit
- 2 Buyers Guide: 7 Crucial Features In A Good 360 Degree Outdoor Security Camera
- 3 FAQ
- 4 To Conclude:
Although there are many options in the market, the ieGeek PT is our overall best 360 degree outdoor security camera. However, the brand doesn’t support PC/ windows compatibility for now. So, our recommendation list has included a few other options you might find interesting.
Best Overall: ieGeek Battery Powered PT Security Camera
Key Features: Pan-tilt design, 4X digital zoom, 1080p Full HD video, two-way audio, human detection, motion detection, and MicroSD card
Best of Value: Eufy Floodlight Cam 2 Pro Security Camera
Key Features: Pan-tilt design, 3MP Full HD, free built-in local storage, motion-activated floodlights, motion auto-tracking, and Amazon Alexa
Best of Budget: EZVIZ C8C Lite Outdoor Security PT Camera
Key Features: So affordable, Pan-tilt design, humanoid detection, audio recording, H.265 video compression, and 256GB MicroSD card
Best of Clarity: Amcrest Super-HD Fisheye PoE Security Camera
Key Features: Fisheye panoramic design, 2K Super-HD videos, 30fps frame rate, 128GB MicroSD card, HEVC H.265 compression, smart AI, and people counting
Is a 360 Degree Security Camera Any Good?
First up, the term 360-degree security camera (professionally) refers to the proprietary fisheye panoramic cameras. Just as the name, these cameras tend to have an ultra-wide-angle lens and view, similar to the eye of a fish. Thus, enabling you to cover a wide area with just one camera.
Even so, fisheye cameras usually adopt a circle streaming/ recording view of the whole area. To view the video as with the traditional CCTV, you’ll need to digitally manipulate the native picture under a process we call “dewarping”. But since we’re talking about digital manipulation, the recording will lose a bit of clarity.
For this reason, we’d highly recommend a PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) camera if your idea is to watch even the farther parts of your property. The design is the other category of 360-degree security cameras, though it also includes PT (pan-tilt) models.
Meanwhile, the main difference between a 360-degree PT and PTZ outdoor security camera is that the latter has a motorized lens. Thus, making it possible to zoom distant objects without affecting the original resolution of the recording.
But, anyway, all the types of 360-degree cameras (PT, PTZ, and Fisheye) can help cut the total number of surveillance devices required. This in turn will reduce the initial cost for installation, as well as operating.
Furthermore, a 360-degree security camera will only have one video feed to watch or playback. So, it’s effortless and quick to find the old footages when you need them.
Comparing the Features, Pros, and Cons of the Best 360 Degree Outdoor Security Camera
|360 Degree Security Camera Brand||Maximum Video Quality||Power Supply||Weatherproof Rating|
|ieGeek Bsttery-Powered Security Camera||1080p Full HD||Battery & Solar||IP65 Rated|
|Eufy Floodlight Cam 2 Pro Security Camera||2K Full HD||Hardwired||IP65 Rated|
|EZVIZ Outdoor Security PT Camera||1080p Full HD||Plug-in||IP65 Rated|
|Amcrest Fisheye PoE Security Camera||2K Super-HD||DC/ PoE||N/A|
|SOLIOM Wireless Solar Security Camera||1080p Full HD||Battery & Solar||IP65 Rated|
|BOIFUN Solar Security Camera||1080P Full HD||Battery & Solar||IP65 Rated|
|Morecam WiFi Security Camera Kit||1080P Full HD||Plug-in||IP66 Rated|
1. Best Overall: ieGeek Battery Powered PT Security Camera
- 🦅【2K/3MP Quad HD & 100ft Color Night Vision】ieGeek solar outdoor security camera is equipped...
- 🌞【Solar Powered & 100% Wire-Free & 4dbi Dual Antennas 】The outdoor wireless security camera...
As was mentioned, the ieGeek is our overall best 360 degree outdoor security camera that you could get for your home compound. It’s not only affordable but also includes everything you need to enjoy optimal surveillance and peace of mind.
If we start with the recordings, the security camera has a 2MP image sensor that records in the standard 1080p Full HD resolution. It has a flexible pan-tilt design, which can rotate horizontally up to 355 and vertically 120. Hence, delivering a panoramic shot of the activities on every corner of your property.
Thanks to the built-in WiFi connectivity, the PT security camera sends the videos to your viewing device wirelessly. Then, it runs on a rechargeable battery, which charges with the included solar panel.
Another thing, the ieGeek outdoor security camera is IP65 rated, with operating temperatures between -13°F to 140°F. Thus, you can mount in the open without having to worry about rain, dust, or heat.
- It has a well-made, decent design
- Quick and straightforward to set up
- Easy to control with the mobile app
- Has audio recording and two-way talk
- Guarantees uninterrupted power supply
- It has a friendly budget and MicroSD slot
- It has no optical zooming
- Lacks Mac/ Windows support
- Doesn’t have continuous video recording
2. Best of Value: Eufy Floodlight Cam 2 Pro Security Camera
- 360° Pan and Tilt Camera Coverage: Pan the lens 360° horizontally to get a complete view without...
- 2K Full HD: Catch all the details in full 2K HD when live-streaming and recording footage.
Although a bit pricey, the Eufy Floodlight camera is another piece that gives 360-degree coverage. So, you get to watch your property with zero blind spots for the would-be intruder to use.
Even better, the CCTV system has a 3MP image sensor that you’ll notice the video recordings are relatively sharper than the 1080p. So, you could even zoom a little without drastically diminishing the details.
Speaking of zooming, this security camera has a PT design but with built-in auto-tracking AI technology. Thus, can lock on the moving subject and follow through until he/ she exits the frame. The feature works in hand with humanoid detection, which will ignore alerts from non-human subjects.
Best of all, Eufy crafted this security camera with 8GB built-in local storage to be storing the captured event clips. And unlike most brands, you could even access the recordings in the local storage from the mobile app.
- It feels solid build and durable
- Delivers crisp and detailed images
- Have a decent night vision in full color
- You can adjust the floodlight settings
- Doesn’t require a monthly subscription
- It can withstand extreme weather conditions
- It doesn’t have continuous video recording
- Not compatible with Apple HomeKit devices
- The motion detection isn’t always reliable
3. Best of Budget: EZVIZ C8C Lite Outdoor Security PT Camera
- 【360° Visual Coverage】Your surroundings are covered with this outdoor pan/tilt camera. With a...
- 【AI-Powered Person Detection】Built-in AI algorithm does not require an additional subscription...
At sixty bucks, the EZVIZ C8C Lite would seem too cheap to be effective, but it’s not, for sure. The security camera starts with a sleek, dome design that will blend and still look good in your smart home or office setting. And then on performance, it does a pretty decent job for its price.
For one, the model adopts a PT design, with a 352° horizontal rotation and 95° vertical rotation. So, you’ll get a panoramic view of all that’s around you and your loved ones.
As for the recordings, EZVIZ added the outdoor security camera with a 2MP image sensor. So, it records in 1080p FHD, which is enough for most consumer applications. You can set the videos to record in the standard H.264 compression but the HEVC H.265 format will be the best to save on storage.
- It’s very affordable
- Effortless to set up and operate
- Has intelligent human-detection
- Records videos that you can listen
- Support up to 256GB MicroSD card
- It can work with Alexa and Google Home
- It doesn’t have auto-tracking
- Also lacks optical zoom function
4. Best of Clarity: Amcrest Super-HD Fisheye PoE Security Camera
- This Fisheye AI PoE Camera features deep IVS: Tripwire & Intrusion. Supports People Counting in...
- EXPERIENCE ULTRA HD - Observe high-quality footage with the latest progressive scanning Starvis...
Although it’s not a 4k 360 security camera, the Amcrest model here still wins our points on clarity. It features a 5MP image sensor and up to a 30fps frame rate. So, you’ll not just get super-HD quality videos that are sharper than the standard 1080p but also smoother to view.
More on that, this camera adopts a Fisheye technology, in which case you can enjoy a full panoramic 360-degree coverage. Or else a super-wide 180-degree field of view when streaming with the de-warp functionality. It also has three powerful IR LEDs that make it easier to see in the dark up to 32 feet.
Furthermore, the Amcrest Fisheye camera has multiple artificial intelligence, including tripwire and intrusion to protect key perimeters. There are also people counting and heat map function, both of which are great in determining the crowd flow. So, the brand is also our overall best 360 degree indoor security camera for business places like stores to monitor the busiest days.
- It delivers bright and vibrant videos
- Has a free local recording storage
- Support third-party/ ONVIF systems
- Includes a built-in mic to record audio
- Has H.265 coding to save on storage
- It has a stylish design, perfect for indoors
- It doesn’t have a built-in speaker
- Lacks weatherproof rating for outdoor
- Doesn’t have an in-camera de-warp function
5. Best of Wire-Free: SOLIOM S600 Wireless Solar Security Camera
- Pan Tilt Broader & Flexible View: The security camera S600 can turn its head 320° horizontally and...
- Full 1080P HD & Color Night Vision: The wireless security camera S600 is 1080p full HD day time...
Technically, the SOLIOM S600 is the top bestselling 360 degree security camera on our list. We could say that has a lot to do with the pricing, but the performance and the general convenience are also beyond impressive.
For instance, the security camera runs on a rechargeable battery, which the company even paired with a solar panel. Thus, allowing you to mount about anywhere, without having to worry about wiring or recharging. But note, the model relies on the WiFi to work, thereby you must mount within the range of your home router.
Another thing, the wireless security camera records in 1080p Full HD, which we mentioned is sufficient for most home needs. It also assumes a pan-tilt design that allows you to see more grounds of your property. And the best part, four integrated LED lights ensure you continue to watch your property in full color after dusk.
- It’s 100% wire-free
- Captures clear videos at night
- Easy to share access with family
- So simple to control from the app
- Can save recordings to a MicroSD card
- It has two-way talk and a built-in siren
- It lacks ONVIF compatibility
- The motion sensor isn’t always reliable
- It’s a hassle to delete individual recordings
6. Alternative Wire-Free: BOIFUN S-GX1S Solar Security Camera
- 【2K HD & 65-foot Night Vision】 BOIFUN solar outdoor camera, equipped with 1/3 CMOS color sensor,...
- 【PIR Motion Detection & Real-time Alert & Two-way Audio】 Using the upgraded Al algorithm and PIR...
Just as the name advertises, the BOIFUN security camera has a built-in battery and a solar to recharge. So, it’s a great alternative if you don’t want to add the extra sixty bucks on the SOLIOM S600. In fact, the two have a lot of features in common, including the use of WiFi to send transmit footage.
The security camera is also a pan-tilt design, with the ability to pan horizontally up to 355° and vertically 120°. Thus, you have a guarantee of 360-degree coverage, plus the ability to digitally zoom up to four times. However, the camera records in 1080p HD, in which case it won’t be wise to zoom more than two times.
- It’s totally free of wiring
- Delivers bright and clear images
- Supports up to 128GB MicroSD card
- Has a decent black & white night vision
- You can remotely view with multiple devices
- It supports audio recording and two-way talk.
- It doesn’t support the optical zoom
- Lacks auto-tracking of moving subjects
- Doesn’t work with third-party app/ systems
7. Alternative Budget: Morecam 844-2pack Pan-Tilt Security Camera Kit
- 【Upgrade connection & Easy to Setup】 Morecam security camera support two-dimensional code...
- 【IP66 Waterproof & Pan/Tilt 360°View】 Security camera with 355° Pan /90° Tilt and 110°...
Even though it’s not the most famous, this kit could be exactly what you need right now. For one, the manufacturer offers it as a unit of two security cameras, both with 360 degree coverage. So, you can keep an eye on your entire front yard and backyard with only one box, and at less.
Each of the cameras is waterproof and dustproof in case you wanted to mount under no shelter. Then, they have built-in WiFi connectivity, which allows them to share the footage with your smart device wirelessly. Even better, you could pair with smart Alexa-enabled devices to activate and enjoy hands-free control.
Sadly, however, Morecam added the two pan-tilt cameras with a fixed lens. So, you might want to avoid zooming far objects as it could excessively drop the HD video quality.
- It’s a friendly budget
- Offers decent video recordings
- Includes built-in local recording
- Support 24/7 continuous video recording
- You can live stream with multiple devices
- It has audio recording and two-way talk
- The WiFi range is relatively short
- Doesn’t have an optical zooming feature
- It doesn’t work with third-party systems
Buyers Guide: 7 Crucial Features In A Good 360 Degree Outdoor Security Camera
When we speak of a good 360 degree outdoor security camera, there are quite many things you have to keep in mind. The seven key features that you have to make sure are there and working accordingly are:
- Video quality: if possible, you might want to choose a camera with the highest image resolution. This will help avoid excessive pixelation during de-warping (fisheye camera) or digital zooming (PTZ cameras).
- Power Option: Choose an outdoor security camera that you know won’t be a hassle to give power. If an area is inaccessible to wired power, consider a battery-powered model, in particular one with a solar panel.
- Weather Tolerance: since we’re talking about monitoring outside, make sure the camera can withstand harsh conditions like rain, dust, snow, and scorching sun.
- De-warping Function: If you’ll be choosing a 360-degree fisheye panoramic camera, do make sure the dewarping feature works. You can consider a model that can dewarp the circle video before transmitting, but they’re rare. So, make sure the software-based dewarping feature is available.
- Cruising Function: for a 360-degree PTZ (or PT) security camera, the ability to remotely rotate the head in the mobile app is very crucial. If possible, you could even choose a brand like the Eufy Floodlight Cam above that has motion auto-tracking.
- Storage Options: Would you like to be paying a monthly subscription? If not, do remember to check that your would-be security camera support either a free cloud plan or built-in local storage.
- ONVIF Compliance. The ability of your security camera to work with third-party apps, software, and recorders is crucial if you would be interested in such. So, also remember to confirm it’s available.
Can security cameras see 360 degrees?
Yeah, indeed, various security cameras can see in 360 degrees with the fisheye lens. However, the cameras will have a “circle” video view, which you’ll need to de-warp so you can watch more naturally and conventionally.
How does 360-degree Security Cameras Work
True 360 degree security cameras usually work with a fisheye lens, which captures a complete panoramic view of the whole place. During a live stream, you can use the client software to dewarp, or otherwise, convert the “circle” video view to look like the traditional video stream.
Are 360-degree cameras worth it?
If you have a large property to monitor, 360-degree cameras are no doubt worth it. Instead of buying multiple cameras, you’ll only need one to monitor a wide area. Thus, saving you on the cost you would have spent on the other cameras. Also, a 360-degree camera (whether fisheye or PTZ) gives only one video feed, which makes it easier to find past recordings.
How do you tell if a security camera is watching you?
The easiest way to tell if a security camera is watching you is by the infrared LEDs, specifically the 850nm light. When active, the LEDs will emit dim red color, which you should be able to see in the dark when close-by.
Each of the CCTV systems out there has its specific role and application. As for a 360-degree outdoor security camera, you can opt to use it when you have a large compound and limited budget in hand.
Sadly, however, not many brands make the true 360-degree fisheye camera that you can mount in the open, outside. And those who do retail at a rather high cost that many people aren’t willing to place down. Amcrest could have been a bit more affordable, perhaps, but they only have an indoor fisheye camera for now.
In any case, various PTZ cameras can rotate around to give you full 360-degree coverage, just like a fisheye lens. The ieGeek Battery Powered PT is a perfect example and our first recommendation from affordability, great pictures, and weatherproof-ness. However, we didn’t like how the maker denied it an optical zoom and continuous recording. But we do understand it may have something with conserving the battery charge.